Chinese-Forums

Taiwan locales

bhchao

What is your favorite city or town in Taiwan?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What is your favorite city or town in Taiwan?

• 墾丁
    • 花蓮
    • 恆春
    • 台南
    • 基隆
    • 屏東
    • 台中
    • 高雄
    • 台北
    • 鹿港

What is your most favorite city or town in Taiwan? I am returning for a visit this summer, and never had the chance to travel much of the island when I lived in Taipei during the early 1980's. Any recommendations on some favorite scenic spots? I am particularly interested in the eastern side of Taiwan and would like to visit 花蓮.

Has anyone been to 鹿港?

I have been to Lugang. It is definitely worth visiting but don't expect too much. There are some very interesting old buildings and the Mazu Temple is one of the most important temples in Taiwan, but for the most part it is just like a typical Taiwanese town. There are probably hundreds of towns in China where the heritage values are better preserved.

If you are interested in the east coast I recommend Taidong over Hualien. Also if you want to see rural Taiwan and lots of natural beauty go to Nantou County. Lots of interesting places to visit there.

Have a look at the travel forum on Forumosa. It has a topic entitled "Distinctive towns". You might find some other useful information there too.

Thanks, I have checked it out and found a boatload of info there. 8)