Chinese-Forums

Sports Vocabulary

Hann

The NBA playoffs are really heating up and it has caused me to engage in many basketball discusions recently, but it kills me that I cant describe many words with the clarity i want because i dont know the vocab.

So to assist me I made vocab lists for basketball, american football, soccer, baseball and ice hockey, but all in english.

I am getting my chinese teacher to help me, but her knowledge of hoops is just not there :lol:

I will post 10 at a time (alphebetically) and if anyone can help please do. I will start with basketball as their season is winding down. Also, if anyone wants to see the lists, just PM me or I will post new ones as we get answers to them. Thanks in advance!

And with a bit of luck we will finish them and then i will organize it all into a nice file with pinyin and characters that can be added to the download section. Here's goes nothing!!

assist:

backboard:

backcourt:

bank shot:

baseline:

basket:

blind pass:

blocked shot:

blocking:

boxing out:

assist:

backboard:lanban 篮板

backcourt:

bank shot:

baseline:

basket:篮子 lanzi

blind pass:

blocked shot:this is fungqiu - don't know how to write the characters.

blocking:

boxing out:

You know, I worked in basketball for 3 years in China - I should know a lot more vocabulary than this. *sigh* - it really does disappear if you don't use it.

assist: zhu gong 助攻

backboard: lan ban 篮板

backcourt: hou chang 后场

bank shot: ca ban ru lan 擦板入篮

baseline: di xian 底线

basket: lan quan 篮圈

blind pass: (Do you mean "no-look pass"?) wu shi zhuan qiu 无视传球

blocked shot: gai mao 盖帽 (Stoudemire's block of Duncan was reported as 盖大帽)

blocking: zu dang fan gui 阻挡犯规

boxing out: lan xia ka wei 篮下卡位

Hey now! I could have been Yao Ming's interpreter! :lol:

seeing as America dominates sports' date=' wouldn't they know the English terms? /QUOTE']

Actually - Yao talks quite a lot about this. He thinks the Chinese vocabulary is too unweildy - he'd like for young Chinese basketball players to learn the english terms - elbow, duck-in, pick, etc. - so they can both play internationall and communicate better on the court with each other.

That's why they had that USA hoops camp in Shanghai a couple weeks ago with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Derrick Mason, and Josh Smith. One of the goals was to instruct young Chinese basketball players how to talk like Rasheed Wallace so that they know how to say "throwin' 'bows" and make guarantees as well as practice the proper technique for the Dikembe Mutombo finger wave: :nono

Now wait a minute! If I teach you all these basketball terms from A-Z then maybe you'll compete with me for the next Chinese superstar interpreter job. There's no way I'm going to miss the boat next time!

I'm keeping an eye on this Sun Ming Ming guy...just in case he gets drafted high by some crazy NBA team like Golden State or the Clippers.

I can see it now: "Year of the Sun" or "Rising Sun"; now one of those is a catchy movie title,... co-starring me as the cool American dude who teaches the Chinese superstar how to talk trash in the NBA.

OK, maybe Sun Ming Ming won't be the next Yao Ming but if he can block field goals then maybe the Raiders will sign him as a special middle linebacker. Same fame, different game...you know what I'm sayin'?

• 2 weeks later...

I put all them all into a nice excel file, and am currently doing the pinyin translation. The list includes everything you can think of as that website was amazing.

If anyone wants the file message me and i will send it. If you want to wait until i get the pinyin done, still message me and i will send when i finish it...hopefully this week :lol: