Chinese-Forums

component in 隙

stapler

The right-side component of 隙 is the old form of 隙 itself. That character/component is no longer an officially recognised character, so I can't even input it here.

Another word I can find with it as a component is 虩虩.

• Like 2

I am curious. Why is it important to know what the right side is? And why is it a good thing that there is another character with the same component?

I mean, if the OP wants to learn how to write it, s/he has already broken it down to 小日小.

I am curious because when I learnt how to write Chinese characters when I was a kid, I didn't ask such a question. I just practised writing them, or just broke something lIke 贏 down to 亡口月貝凡.

As I wrote elsewhere I just find it easier to remember characters if I can remember their components, and the bigger the components the better. One example I gave before was 贛. For a long time I had memorised the left hand side as 立 and 早. Then when I realised it was actually just 章 it became much easier for me to remember the whole character. When I found out that 蜀 was actually a character for Sichuan suddenly words like 觸 and 屬 became much easier for me as I stopped memorising each part EG 尸 水 網 包 蟲 and started remembering 屬 as an almost 犀 +  蜀. It's just easier for my brain to connect neurons using these larger components. If these components appear in other characters, having a look at the other characters helps reinforce the components. Characters become difficult for me when there seems to be no other characters that share their components. For example, as you mentioned, 贏, but also characters like 嚏 and 睿 (PS I'd be really happy to know there is another commonly used character that's like 睿!). Because I haven't found other characters that are similar I find them very difficult because I have to remember many components.

I guess as an adult I'm more naturally attracted to patterns then I was as a child. And this applies to English too. When I was a kid I was just blindly writing words. Now as an adult having a feel for the origins of words (Germanic, Norman, Latin, Greek, etc) and understanding phonetic blocks like "gue" "ph", etc makes remembering how to spell infinitely easier.