Chinese-Forums

Read This Text Aloud

Demonic_Duck

Another thing that might bias our informal study is the fact I provided pinyin with correct tones, but I'm trusting those who can read the characters to consult the character version, rather than relying on the pinyin.

In the second row 不是生与死的距离

Though in all dictionaries it's written like  bù shì , don't know why I hear it like bú shì

For instance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQvj9BHT8M8

Though in all dictionaries it's written like  bù shì , don't know why I hear it like bú shì

Because the rules of Pinyin state that tone sandhi is not indicated when writing pinyin, therefore it is written bù shì but readers are expected to know that with tone sandhi this becomes bú shì.  It's the same reason 你好 is written nǐhǎo and not níhǎo

Edit: The duck beat me to it.

I have a question regarding skylee's pronunciation. I think her 世界 sounds closer to 射界 and her 死  sound a bit like se3. Does Cantonese have the Mandarin's "i" or is it more like "e"?

I'm gonna attempt a critique of everyone's submissions so far.

• Mine: kinda difficult to critique my own speech, but the comments I got on GoVoluble were that my “离” in “距离” was too light and sounded like neutral tone instead of second, and that my rhythm was a little off (should pause more between the third and fourth lines). Listening back to it myself, I also think my “爱” wasn't an obvious enough fourth tone, and almost sounded like first tone.
  • rezaf: very difficult to pick out a single mistake, but I think perhaps your “遥” in “遥远” sounded too much like a first tone, and just like mine, your “爱” also sounded a bit like a first tone.
  • Orpheus: “世界” sounded a bit like [shèjiè]; “最” sounded a bit like [zhuì]; your second “距离” sounded like [jìlí]; too much emphasis in the word “知道”.
  • Mr. John: with your “远” and “却”, you're pronouncing the [ü] part wrong. You're pronouncing it as an followed by a , when actually it's a single sound rather than a diphthong; keep the tongue position of and the lip shape of , but pronounce them together as a single sound (this may take a little practice, unless you know a language like French or German, which have the same sound). It also sounds to me like your “距离” and “爱” both have the same problem as mine (respectively: too light on the second syllable of “距离”, and too first-toney for “爱”).
  • skylee: as with rezaf's, difficult to pick out any mistakes. I wouldn't say your “死” sounds quite like [sě], more like halfway between [sǐ] and [sě], perhaps because you're pronouncing it too far back in the throat. Your “不” in “不知道” also sounds a little too high, like a first tone rather than fourth/neutral.
  • imron: your “与” sounds like it's first tone rather than third (or second because of tone sandhi). Possibly your “前” in “面前” is a little low and third-toney, too.
  • arreke: “世界” sounds like [shījiě]; “遥远” sounds like [yáoyuàn]; “距离” sounds like [jùli]; “死” sounds like [sì]; “面前” sounds like miánqiàn. As 889 says, your pronunciation of retroflex sounds definitely sounds like a southerner, but not to the extent where it's difficult to distinguish your from [sh] sounds, so I don't think even the most prescriptive of linguists would try to claim it was "incorrect".
  • LiMo: your “死” sounds like [sí]; “而是” sounds like “耳屎” ( :P); your overall pronunciation of tones sounds a little bit over-exaggerated. My (probably incorrect) hypothesis is that you're American, not because your speech sounds particularly typical of Americans speaking Chinese, but because you remind me of one particular American guy I know when he speaks Chinese. My second guess would be Japanese, because a couple of Japanese people I know have similar intonation when they speak Chinese.
  • Yueni: aside from minor rhythm and pacing issues, and perhaps placing a shade too much stress on the word “知道”, this sounds more-or-less spot on to me. Kudos!
  • Basil: your vowel in “上” sounds like English "a" ([æ]) rather than pinyin [a]; your “死” sounds almost like [sī]; your “距离” sounds like [jùlǐ]; your “面前” sounds like [miànqiǎn]; your “却” sounds like [quě]. Also, I'm not sure if it's just me, but your overall intonation sounds a little sarcastic (or maybe that was intentional :P).

I don't know if there's selection bias due to people whose pronunciation is bad being less willing to upload a sample of it for public scrutiny, but I have to say that I reckon the overall standard of pronunciation so far is pretty damn good (like, significantly better than if you took a random sample of, say, Chinese learners who'd been learning for more than a year).

• Like 2

Interesting, thanks for the feedback. British English actually. Lived in London my whole life. It's hard to say what my "natural speech" is, because I don't really speak Chinese often and it took me many tries to get that short piece recorded without massive slip ups. It may well be a good thing in a way, perhaps it means I've moved that much farther away from my native accent that it's hard for others to pin it down, the next step is to sound more Chinese :lol: . So tempted to keep uploading samples for a crowd sourced quasi-lesson on pronunciation, but I shall dutifully refrain :/

• rezaf: very difficult to pick out a single mistake,

That's because I'm covering it up by speaking fast. My main problem is pronouncing the --ao sounds. Most of them end up like --a. In this case I could pronounce yao but I agree the second tone should be stronger.

Interesting, thanks for the feedback. British English actually. Lived in London my whole life. It's hard to say what my "natural speech" is, because I don't really speak Chinese often and it took me many tries to get that short piece recorded without massive slip ups. It may well be a good thing in a way, perhaps it means I've moved that much farther away from my native accent that it's hard for others to pin it down, the next step is to sound more Chinese :lol: .

To be fair, it's possible Chinese people would be able to pick up on something I didn't. I was talking to my housemate today, and she told me that even if she didn't know I was British, she would be able to guess it from my accent when I speak Chinese. That surprised me - of course I'm well aware that I speak with an accent, but it would surprise me if a Chinese person was be able to pin it down specifically as an English accent (as opposed to, say, an Australian accent).

Of course, it's also possible it was just hindsight bias. It's easy to say "that's what I would have guessed" when you already know the answer. :wink:

I will do that in a few days but I'm not good at being dramatic, the way I recorded it is the way I speak. Perhaps it's time to open that can of worms and see all the stuff that I have been covering up. I certainly want to improve my pronunciation if I have the time.

Also, I'm not sure if it's just me, but your overall intonation sounds a little sarcastic (or maybe that was intentional  :P).

Not intentional, maybe my voice is just laden with latent sarcasm... 

I think we need more contributors. 

So far our sample is inconclusive...

You also can check a talk show from Jiangsu TV " 世界青年说“ http://tv.sohu.com/s2015/sjqns/

I've met some of them in Beijing, they all speak Chinese loud and clear I admit it, the only thing that never ceases to amaze me is why they all behave like clowns, even in real life, all those fake smiles, dumb jokes, is it all necessary, can't they just take this fake masks off and be themselves ?

You also can check a talk show from Jiangsu TV " 世界青年说“

From this one: http://tv.sohu.com/20150417/n411406114.shtml

• Canadian dude: says “城市” like “尝试”.
  • Russian guy: very good pronunciation, but dunno why he's supposed to be considered so good looking. I guess 中西方不同的审美感. :P
  • Italian guy: says “多” like “躲”. Totally 帅气 though.
  • Iranian dude: really good pronunciation. Very occasional, minor tonal mistakes (e.g. 在->宰). Also totally hotter than Russian guy, but also in a 小鲜肉 kinda way.
  • Thai guy: this guy is hilarious. But quite a few tonal mistakes and weird intonation, and [sh] sounds like etc. I think his Chinese is a lot better than his English, though. :lol:
  • Costa Rican dude: I couldn't pick up on any mistakes.
  • Australian dude: [ü] sound in “律师” not quite spot on, sounds too much like (but I think close enough to to [ü] that it wouldn't cause communication problems).
  • English dude: can't really comment on which of the non-standard parts are "native-like" imitation of 大连 accent, because I'm not too familiar with it. There was nothing immediately obvious as being incorrect that jumped out at me.

Anyway, 看不下去了 cuz of all these idiotic sound effects that have nothing to do with what's even happening in the show. Even if the show's target audience was eight year old kids it would still be insulting to their intelligence. Why the heck to Chinese game shows do this? Does anyone actually believe it adds anything?

Also, I'd be very interested to hear if any native Chinese speakers (or indeed fellow learners) agree or disagree with any of my criticisms, or are picking up mistakes that I'm not noticing at all.

• Like 1

@ Demonic duck

Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully I can finally start sorting out that pesky [ü] sound. You're probably right about the soft 离 and unconvincing 爱 too. I also asked a Chinese friend about my recording and she identified my 最,生 and 却 as my main pronunciation issues.

I don't really feel qualified to critique others, so I'll leave it at that.