Chinese-Forums

Should I root my Android phone in China?

abcdefg

I live in Kunming. Bought a new Android phone a couple months ago on a trip to Hong Kong. It's a Sony Xperia Z3. Good specs and good reviews, but several (actually 2) problems with it are driving me nuts.

First, there's the chronic problem of accessing Google Play and downloading apps that I've run into before when using other Android devices here on the Mainland. Second, this time I also have had difficulty getting my laptop to recognize the phone when connected by USB cable.

Have spent countless hours (not really countless, but probably between 10 and 20) reading help forums and  fiddling with the damn thing. It's not something I enjoy; it gives me no thrill; it's not like a hobby; it's more of an unwelcome, nagging chore.

Have just started reading up on rooting the new phone. Would not have given that any thought if if the bloody thing would have just worked straight out of the box. But it looks pretty straight forward if I just follow the directions.

Seems that it would also convey some benefits, such as being able to install a custom ROM to boost speed and increase battery life. It would let me block ads, remove some bloatware that I never use, select a less silly "skin" than those which were pre-installed.

Hopefully, I could then also install the necessary drivers to connect easily to my computer and I could finally once again gain access to Google's app store.

I realize from reading that there are some risks. I'm far from being a geek and I'm no natural-born whiz at electronics. But I can follow directions one step at a time.

What do you think? Should I give it a go?

• Like 1

There are different ways to solve your problems. Maybe you don't need to install custom ROM. Moreover, rooting will not provide you access to Google store.

1. You can get access to Google store via VPN (I can't specify, I don't use it). Or install 1mobile market app. It's almost the same as the google market. But you still will not able be to use google services. Thus, I think that find suitable VPN app is better.

2. About drives. What is your operation system? I found out that it's extremely difficult to connect mobile phone to computer with windows 8.

But, your arguments for rooting are good as well. Nowadays, everyone can root phone and install custom ROM, it's very easy and needs one mouse click. Instructions are clear. You can find everything you need in XDA-delevopers forum.

• Like 2

Thanks, Emmanuel.

Windows 7, with all current updates. Sorry I forgot to mention that. I have a VPN, but it only works some of the time. Drat! I may have to take another look at that.

Or install 1mobile market app.

Looks good. I'll try it out. (Didn't know about it before.)

This new phone has been sitting in a drawer ever since I bought it. I take it out and try to set it up every couple weeks, and then retreat in frustration. Can't seem to make it operational, and I continue using my old one, which really isn't all that bad.

Having gone through this a few times, I'll warn that rooting is never quite as simple as it seems. About the same as re-installing Windows. Small problems always seem to crop up that take a couple of hours each to solve. Particularly hard if you're on the Mainland and can't easily use Google to find answers to those problems. I also found some of the actual download sites for rooting s/w blocked in China.

And in my latest case, after successfully rooting the thing, the manufacturer came out with a system upgrade that would only work on unrooted phones, so I had to unroot it back. Point is, do it if you want but don't do it lightly.

Note that rooting s/w often requires use of your desktop/laptop, so if your desktop/laptop has problems talking with your phone, there may also be a problem there.

Finally, in choosing the right rooting s/w for your phone, be very careful to get it right. Phones with the same model number often have different insides depending on when and where they're sold, and you have to get the version precisely right.

• Like 1

Years ago, I wasted loads of time mucking about with linux. Getting it to work on this, on that, with this, with that, do this.. you get the idea.

It was vaguely fun for a while, as much as searching user forums for solutions to problems can be fun, but after a long while I got a computer that just worked for almost everything that I wished to do.

I've always considered that time wasted, but reading your opening thread, I'm not sure it was... completely.

My advice, I'm sure you'll hate it...

20 hours on android forums doesn't an expert make. Prepare to sink even more time in the future with each update, downdate or whatever.

Sell the phone and buy the best iPhone you can afford. Then spend that extra time with your other half, on your work or on learning Chinese.

I'll get my coat...

• Like 1

@abcdefg

As I know there is now way to access Google services without VPN even with custom ROM. I suggest you to find better VPN app.

I didn't have troubles with connecting my phone to computer with windows 7. However, may be you need USB driver. I suppose that you computer has VPN. So, you need to download and install android sdk (developer.android.com). Then, run Android SDK manager (SDK manager), find and install Google USB driver (you can find it in extras).But it doesn't guarantee anything.

I had the same problem when I had windows 8. I spent a lot of time, but didn't find any solutions. I used Baidu Cloud to transfer data between pc and phone  :D  It worked well for me.

• Like 1

OK, guys. Thanks a lot. If nothing else this has disabused me of the naive notion that rooting the phone is some kind of magic bullet that will automatically fix everything.

Note that rooting s/w often requires use of your desktop/laptop, so if your desktop/laptop has problems talking with your phone, there may also be a problem there.

Absolutely. Sounds like that problem needs to be fixed first, and then return to the issue of whether to root or not. Consider that issue separately, weigh its pros and cons, not turn to rooting as an instant panacea. And realize it might not be as simple as it looks at first glance.

Finding a better VPN, or getting mine straightened, out sounds like a good place to start untangling this bag of fishing line. It will be my first order of business.

However, may be you need USB driver.

That seems to be the case from what I've read so far. I've even downloaded a zipped file, but can't figure out how to install it. I'll dig into that again as well. The tool you mentioned (Android SDK) sounds like it could be very useful.

I suppose that you computer has VPN.

Yes, but it's not working well. I'll either fix it or change again.

And if all else fails, Basil, I might actually buy an iPhone. The only reason I've resisted it this long is that seems it would require a shift to a whole new computing environment. Scrap Windows and go Apple. Most of my friends and even my smart younger brother have already done that.

Thanks again. This has been helpful.

Whichever way you decide to go, choose your ecosystem with care.

I've used Windows since Hector was a pup. I shudder at the thought of changing now, this late in the game (I'm old; fast approaching my expiration date.) And I've had 2 or 3 Android devices, so I have at least a little familiarity with how they look and work. Hence my reluctance to switch. (It's not that I think Windows and Android are better than Apple/Mac.) But the appeal of something that "just works" cannot be denied.

I would approach rooting with great care or you could end up with a "brick" ie a phone that doesn't even turn on.

You are in a situation where I don't think rooting your phone will help with communicating with your laptop.

What version of android is it?, later versions are better at talking to windows 7 & 8.

If you plug it it in does it acknowledge its existence? or does nothing happen.

When you connect it, it asks if you want connect to your computer to use as a USB storage device, on later android versions it then asks if you want to share pictures or files or another choice (can't remember the exact words) but along the lines of use this one to connect to windows 7 or 8 machine.

So if it is an older version less than 4.3 I think it does have problems. but it should be possible without rooting it to solve this problem.

Just remembered, had a lot of problems connecting my partners phone to his windows 7 machine, worked out in the end it was because he didn't have a memory card installed, once we put an SD card in his phone it had no problems.

I think it is because the PC talks to the card not the phone.

Windows 7 (except the european N editions) should already come with USB drivers for MTP, which is what the phone uses normally to connect to the PC. You shouldn't need additional drivers unless you're flashing you phone's firmware or such.

Connect you phone and see if there's any unknown USB device in device manager. Delete it and re-connect the phone to the PC to let it re-detect and re-install the driver. If it still fails try another USB cable and another USB port on your PC. If it fails on a USB 3.0 port, try a USB 2.0 port and vice versa.

Umm, I have both an iPhone and a Samsung phone. Don't ask why, I just do.

The IPhone definitely works smoother. I have it connected to my PC and iTunes on Win7. You don't need to buy a Mac to use an iPhone. Although expensive, I would definitely recommend the iPhone 6+. I have the 6 and whilst it's a good smartphone device, a larger screen is more comfortable (except no use for writing on chinese forums!)

My calendar works much better on the Android device. Funnily enough, I can reply on chinese forums with my Android but if I use iPhone to try and write a post on chinese forums, it doesn't work.

I am rather surprised at my Android doing the following: my Skype has very few names (mainly Mandarin teachers). My wechat has only three contacts. However, one of my Skype contacts automatically found its way into my wechat. Yucks.

#10 forward -- Shelley, @Dwq, @Flickserve --

The phone uses Android 4.4.4. When I plug it into the computer via USB, it does not even make the appropriate acknowledging sound or begin charging. Windows Explorer does not know it's there. It does not show up under "Start > Computer" either as a phone or as a storage device. It does not show up in Device Manager, but I will look again to see if there are any unknown devices there. I have not tried inserting an SD Card. Had not heard that tip; will try it.

Have tried several cables, including the original one, two Win 7 computers, both USB 3 and USB 2 ports. My older Android phone connects to my main laptop computer just fine and I can transfer content back and forth, install updates, etc. Have been reading lots of on-line Android user forums, using the search string: "Sony Xperia Z3 not recognized by PC when connected by USB cable." Quite a few users seem to have had the same problem. Have also visited the Sony support website.

Consensus seems to be that my drivers are missing or corrupt or not installed right. I have tried changing the phone's connectivity settings as suggested. Under Settings > Xperia Connectivity > USB connectivity > USB connection mode. When I switch from Media Transfer Mode to Mass Storage Mode, the device shows up as an external disc drive (Removable Disc) with no content.

I'm glad to know that this is not something rooting will fix. I will set aside the rooting issue for now and just focus on trying to fix my phone so that it is useable. I tend to blame all computer and phone problems on simply being in China, as though it's something in the water or the air, and I know that isn't sensible or fair.

But last night I managed to get my VPN repaired and it now works much, much better.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Triumph!

Just now managed to fix it. Put the phone back in MTP mode, plugged in to the laptop (via USB.) Went to: Device Manager > Action > Scan for hardware changes. Windows then installed the driver automatically, and the phone now shows up in Explorer.

I can load things from computer to the phone and the other way around, which was the main goal. I can also update my phone's software via the Sony PC Companion tool. I can transfer contact lists and calendar contents from my old phone.

And I didn't even have to move to Taiwan. Appreciate all you assistance and advice. I now can tackle other tasks.

• Like 1

Thanks, Gato. That's one of the discussions I had already seen.

When I fixed it just now, I did it via the USB 2 port on my laptop. Maybe that's significant. Now that it's working, I'll go back and see if it works with USB 3 as well. Will do that in a few minutes, when I finish updating and transferring stuff.

Thanks, Flickserve!

Just for the sake of completeness, I'll add that connecting the phone to the computer now works by the USB3 port as well as the slower one. And it also works with other USB cables besides the one that came with it as original equipment. Must have been a driver problem, like several of you suggested.

Glad I don't have to root it. I'm basically not a "phone-rooting" kind of guy.