Chinese-Forums

YOCEC in Kunming - any impressions?

tghayward

Hi Folks,

Just signed up to this forum and it seems like Kunming has really caught on as a place to study Mandarin. I was there visiting in early '99 and with the exception of Yunda there didn't seem to be too much in the way of study opportunities. I'm curious to see what the city looks like now as it was one large construction sight when I last visited.

Anyway, I'm strongly considering returning to Kunming this fall to study Mandarin. I've been to most of the school websites and am wondering if anyone knows about the program at YOCEC. Their website is as professional as advertised on this forum and the cost comes in even below the universtiy where I'm at now in Taiwan. Anyone out there with impressions?

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know YOCEC, but I've studied advanced Chinese at 昆明理工大学 (Kunming University of Science and Technology) one semester and really liked it. And it was only $360 US for a semester and I was allowed to live off campus. The teachers were really good, my classmates who had studied there longer were also satisfied, but the class is going to give you whatever you're willing to put into it no matter where you go. I don't know about websites or applying to the school ahead of time but you can go on a tourist's visa and change to a student when you get there. If you renew the student visa every six mos instead of a year you don't have to do the yucky physical exam. Also the waiban Peter is easy-going and helpful.