Chinese-Forums

closeout, metrics, and other questions

Kenny同志

Hi folks, I have difficulty understanding a few words and phrases and would appreciate it if you could help me. They are as follows:

closeout

Does it have any other meaning other than 清倉甩賣?

Optimus

Is this word English? What does it mean?

Metrics

A document from a company offering testing and certification services says ‘new metrics will be introduced’. What does ‘metrics’ mean here?

The Metrics are considered tools in the document. Can it be known whether they are tangible or not?

customer commitment days

Does the phrase refer to the time the customer is willing to or has to spend to achieve/get something?

MBA and IDP-C

Joe Smith, MBA, IDP-C

Chief Operation Officer

I am not very sure what MBA stands for in the italicised text but it doesn’t seem to mean master of business administration. Also, is ‘IDP-C’ the acronym for integrated data processing centre?

I am really tired of the extensive use of acronyms in English.

Closeout as in closeout sale is far and away the most common meaning, but a quick Google search shows a surfing connotation, as well as this gem: "The Closeout Process. At the end of your ARPA-E Award you will receive a Closeout Notification Letter from the Closeout Contracting Officer."

Metric seems to be a fad word for a measurement of some sort; if a TV rating service adds a statistic showing viewers over 90 eating popcorn watching a particular show, that would be a new metric.So I assume your testing service will be providing some additional data on products tested.

If I see MBA after a name in a business context, I instinctively assume it refers to the degree.

Thanks very much for your useful input, 889.

I can't figure out what 'closeout' mean in the example sentence your provided.  Anyway, this word is a bullet point under 'Delivery Time'(also a bullet point). I have checked Wikipedia for explanations but none seems to fit the context. 

MBA =

An MBA is a level up from an undergraduate business degree, and once achieved generally places the graduate well above those with only undergraduate degrees. Most major universities and colleges provide MBA programs, which usually last two years.

IDP =

An internally displaced person (IDP) is someone who is forced to flee his or her home but who remains within his or her country's borders. They are often referred to as refugees, although they do not fall within the current legal definition of a refugee.

There is a company IDP-C that sells printers and lot of other IDP-C's so without context its hard to be sure.

Thanks again, 889. I think that's what closeout means in the document.

And thank you very much for your help, Shelly. You are so 熱心. : )

IDP-C should be part of the testing and certification company. I will see if the client can clarify what it means.