Chinese-Forums

Best eats near Minzu University? (summer 2015)

Wahed

I was wondering what the best restaurants are that I should try during my time there? Our dorms are at 27 Zhongguancun South Avenue in Hainan District, Beijing. There is a big possibility that I will be eating out for every meal. The program I am participating in has a strict Chinese-only policy at all times so the most authentic Chinese restaurants with no English and plenty of regular locals are the most desired. But I have heard that the area where Minzu University is probably is the most diverse area of Beijing and maybe all of China. So I would like to try every type of food possible. (ie Tibetan, Uyghur, Nepali, etc. etc. )

Yummy for me:

- tons of meat!

- spicy

- hot dishes temperature-wise

Not so yummy:

- bread/ noodles/ etc.

- fruit

- vegetables

- cold dishes temperature-wise (ie ice cream or any type of food/drink that is cold)

^ As you can see I love meat. But I will eat veggies as well if they are delicious.

Despite normally finding Chinese food unpalatable, some delicious items I have tasted include 烤豬, Sichuan shrimp, and sweet Char Siu. Hopefully, I can get a huge list of the best restaurants, try each of them one at a time, and complete the list before the August departure. I am also going to ask some locals in Chinese as well for their thoughts to compare with. I don't have a budget and price is not an issue so please recommend the absolute best regardless of how expensive it is. Thank you!

How's your Chinese?

I usually use Dianping to find new places. Also, if you have Baidu maps installed on your phone you can see restaurants nearby, customer ratings and how far/how to get there from your location.