Chinese-Forums

Teaching Chinese

XiaoXi

Ok interesting, I haven't started yet, I'm just thinking about it. Can I ask, do you live in China or in your home country? Is it online or do you go to people's houses? Thanks.

I'm assuming that you're not actually Chinese?? Haha I should have made that clear in my first post I guess. I'm talking about foreigners teaching foreigners specifically.

They think I can explain things like grammar better than many native speakers. I might use hours to find a good explanation for a grammar point or their question and avoid "Chinese people just say it like that" as far as possible. My English is also better than most native teachers which makes it easier to teach beginners.

At the moment I charge 100rmb/hour for 1on1, though the price will go up once I graduate next year.

• Like 2

Tiana, your story is making me think again about the Confucius institutes.

But on the topic of the thread, I taught Chinese to a number of 2-4th graders in the U.S. (by advertising on Craigslist). Best per-hour money I ever made, but I think it was just dumb luck, as all of my subsequent students were brought to me by the mother of the first. I'm not sure I had any advantages over a native Mandarin-speaker.

Yes I mean anywhere, not just in China. I thought even in the west Chinese teachers were all Chinese. Its interesting to find that they're not.

I read your story, Tiana. Its hardly surprising for a country such as China to do something like that though.

They think I can explain things like grammar better than many native speakers. I might use hours to find a good explanation for a grammar point or their question and avoid "Chinese people just say it like that" as far as possible. My English is also better than most native teachers which makes it easier to teach beginners. 

Better than most? Is your native language not English then?

@XiaoXi My native language is Finnish, English is my first foreign language.

@Zev, You were certainly a good teacher as you got new students by recommendations. I've never taught kids, would love to hear how it was for you.

• 2 months later...

This has recently been on my mind also. In fact I was just about PM you Xuefang but I suppose I can just ask questions here.

I imagine teaching Chinese in China as a non-Chinese would be extremely difficult. We've had discussions here before about what people search for, namely, a face that fits the language. I'm impressed and glad to hear that this kind of thing is possible. I'm about to graduate (non-Chinese related degree, sigh) and I've been weighing up my options. I've got a masters offer for Chinese Studies but it's more of a conversion sort of course. I'm just wondering if it's worth it at the moment. I've seen on another thread that you're doing a masters in teaching Chinese as a second language at Sun Yat-Sen University correct? In the other threads you seemed quite satisfied at the time. Would you still recommend it?

@LiMo

I thought so too, that finding students would be difficult as a non-Chinese in China, but luckily I've noticed that there is a need for foreign teachers as well. We can bring our own experiences and teaching styles.

I've been happy with SYSU and luckily have been studying with a Confucius Institute scholarship. All of the courses are during the first year, some of them not that useful, but I've found most of them interesting. Having both Chinese and foreigners in the same classroom is also a plus for this major, can put our different strengths together.

The second year is thesis writing and internship (at least 40 hours).

I think that one reason I'm happy with this program is that I'm truly intersted in the profession and actively take part on the courses I like. If needed, also give honest feedback if I'm not satisfied with something. I did my undergrad here as well so feels like home now. Another thing is to choose your supervisor wisely when starting your thesis, can make a big difference too.