Chinese-Forums

After the interview they keep my passport for 3 weeks..HUH?

alwaysstriving

My employer told me that to complete my work permit/visa or whatever they call it in Beijing that I need to go to this "interview" in Beijing within my first 30 days and that they keep my passport for 3 weeks.

1) Is it really that long....for 3 weeks?

2) I will bring my passport and just in case some passport photos. Should I bring anything else?

Thanks in advance

You need to apply for a residence permit within 30 days and yes, they will keep your passport while they are doing that because that's where they put your residence permit.

3 weeks seems a little on the long side.  Previously when I've done this it's taken about a week.  That was several years ago now so things may have changed.

The new visa law of 2013 says 3 weeks to process a visa.  I don't know why, as the last two years it looked a lot like they held on to it until the last day and then stamped it.  It's irritating because you can't travel during that time.  They give you a slip of paper that says they have your passport, and this is supposed to be valid for travel.  But as the entry-exit bureau never bothered to inform the hotels and airports what one of these looks like, you can't go anywhere.  You can take long-distance buses but that's about it.  No fast train.

• Like 1