Chinese-Forums

How you stay in China on the residence permit after employer cancels work permit?

ymillion

I've quit my teaching job. I want to stay in China. My residence permit still has quit some time on it. I know my employer will try to cancel my work permit ASAP. I know I should attempt to get the Release Letter from them.

As for staying in China, I see a few potential options, but hoping others can help:

1) Can I stay in China on the residence permit for a while (not working)? I've read they can't cancel the permit without physical access to the passport.

2) Can go to HK for a tourist visa? On an American passport what kind of tourist visas as far as duration of stay, visa validity and number of entries?

Will either of these options run me into problems down the road? Will I run into problems getting a work permit again in the future?

First time with dealing with this in China, thanks for the help.

These days, Americans can usually get 10-year 60-day multiple-entry visas in Hong Kong, even if not resident there.

But I can't say whether you'd get a visa in your situation. Sometimes they get picky if it looks like you're intending to work in China on your tourist visa. Agencies are expensive, but might be able to give you some insight on your chances.

I'm fairly sure they can cancel your permit without access to your passport. I'd ask the employer if they can hold off cancelling it. If that's not an option, get out quickly or you'll be here illegally.

The problem you'll have down the line is if you don't have the release/cancellation letter. We heard recently on this forum that even if you leave China and come back, you'd still need that. I hope you left on good terms with your employer.

If you've just quit a job mid contract they will probably see that when they look at your residence permit and see you're in HK applying for a visa before the end date. I guess that might count against you and, as above, you might look into an agency to be safe.

Thanks guys. Currently working with a new school to see about transferring the paperwork. But considering switching to a tourist visa, as I might just want to spend a little time enjoying China without working, and then get the !@#$ out of Dodge...

Will update as things progress and I encounter new problems ;)