Chinese-Forums

Is it possible to apply for work permit without BA?

Reboot

• New Members

Hi, I have a relative who owns a company, and really wants to hire me as a translator and speaking with foreign clients. The problem is, obtaining a Chinese Work Permit requires a BA, and I don't have one. Is it really required for a permit, or could I send my HS diploma over to get by? I meet all the other requirements save for this issue. My dad suggests we send a fake one, but I'm worried this could affect our relative. I mean, if they just look at it, it's really not an issue. If they dig in to it, that becomes a problem. Does anyone know anything about this issue that can give me advice?

I thought that the strict rule on having a BA only applied to teaching. I could very well be wrong though ...

Even if there was a requirement for a BA, tell your relative to contact some visa agents in China and see what they say with regard to helping you get a visa. They might be able to get round it.

My friend was studying in a language program in China last year, and a Chinese company selling European wines offered her a sales/marketing position. However, her BA in our home country was still in progress at that time (and she obviously didn't have any work experience). They somehow managed to get a confirmation of work experience, however her application was rejected because she did not have a BA. They used the service of a visa agency, and even they couldn't help them. It is highly possible that your application will be rejected, because holding a BA degree is a kind of strict rule (you can be smart with the 2-year work experience thing).

They used the service of a visa agency, and even they couldn't help them

Yeah, to be honest, when I mentioned a visa agency ... I was more thinking they'd have connections.  It's been known for some agents just to also just make a degree cert to use for the client.

It depends on who you know I guess. I'd imagine the kind of agent who makes someone a degree doesn't advertise too heavily.

If you are a relative of the person, you could  try coming on a business visa. This could fly if you could prove you're over here as a consultant or something. Worth looking into perhaps.

Officially, at least in Beijing you cannot get any kind of work visa unless you have a university degree and two years of work experience afterwards. Full stop.

On the other hand side, when applying, people talk to the officers in charge, show all kinds of certificates that are interpreted in different ways and end up getting all kinds of visas, so there is often (but not always) a way. So I do not think anyone can give you a definite answer on this until except: officially no, but in reality maybe