Chinese-Forums

How competitive is a Chinese university graduate internationally?

bientai

Can you please specify? It is a big thing to advise people against going to grad school in China altogether. I hope you can name your school, program, and 导师, so that people can avoid them instead of avoiding all grad school programs in China.

I have had difficulties, but I have also had Chinese classmates and professors helping me go on and not give up doing something not that many people have done before.

Did you drop out?

As far as environmental concerns go, I am from the Balkans, if I get cancer anytime soon, I will blame NATO, not China.

http://www.nato.int/du/home.htm

Anyone who feels a need to edit out their posts within an hour of making them is kindly requested to spend an hour thinking first, then posting. 

Sofia's written quite a bit about her experiences if you check her past posts. If she's reluctant to post any more information that might identify her - well, fair enough. 

I can't find any of her past posts. I don't even know if she was an international student in China like me or a Chinese student who got her PhD from a Chinese university. Or a post-doc?

Anyway, foreign universities in China seem to charge undergrads high tuition fees. I would rather work for Chinese universities where education is available for everyone, including students whose parents don't have much money to spend on high tuition fees.

Are there any foreign universities in China anyone can afford to attend? Doctoral studies are free everywhere, this is more about school policy and undergraduate fees.

#32 is just an example of what is happening in China right now. If you want detailed information on what is happening in China (at least when it comes to the academic world), the "don't go to China for grad school" is not a good idea because in that case no one would know what is happening in China. Especially if things go wrong here.

I have noticed that Chinese universities offer higher salaries to post-docs who earned their PhDs abroad. Some Chinese people who got their PhD from a good Chinese university might not be happy that they have to move to second-tier or third-tier cities while their schools hire post-docs from abroad (Chinese scientists who have been educated abroad included) in an attempt to improve the quality of research. I guess the person who chose to remain anonymous is one of them.

I am not sure how competitive my degree will be internationally, but I like challenges so I will try to graduate.