Chinese-Forums

Please help with UTF-8

JustJon

What text-editor are you using? You will need something that can work in UTF-8, otherwise the characters will be GB, and conflict with the UTF-8 encoding.

In Notepad, Save As, and then choose UTF-8 as encoding. Then upload and see if it works.

Roddy

Thanks for the quick response.

I'm using DreamWeaver but I have also tried TextEdit as I am on a Mac. I've changed all the settings I could find to UTF-8 (both the opening and saving of files) in both programs. Both work fine when viewed locally but not when uploaded. I thought it might be the text which I'm copying into the documents, but I've now taken a line of text from a web page that uses UTF-8 (and works) but it garbles that text too.

Could it be something the server is doing?

Or the way I'm uploading the files?

You my friend, are a star. Just that tiny bit of info about Fetch (untick "Translate ISO characters" in the preferences) has made all the difference. I've posted about this on 3 different forums now and have been scratching my head for quite some time. Thank-you very much indeed, you've made me a very happy person.

No problem, once I'd eliminated the stuff that I messed up on before, a quick Google turned up that page. I still don't fully understand a lot of encoding issues, but I'm getting there . . .

Roddy

I've made a tool to convert Chinese characters to Unicode numerical character references. Just paste your Chinese characters into the box and press "convert".

This will help prevent problems with file transfers and the like, though the resulting code isn't much fun to edit if you have to go in and change the file occasionally.