Chinese-Forums

Picking a new Chinese name for myself

Ques

• New Members

My assistant Laoshi gave me a transliteration of my English name on the first day of Chinese 101, and I've wanted to change it ever since. Because I'm leaving for a year of study in China imminently, now seems like the last chance to change it before it gets cemented into my psyche.

After a few hours of reading on the subject of choosing a Chinese name, I've preliminarily settled on 明晓慧. Ideally my name would reference the moon, be gender-neutral, sound like an actual Chinese name, and not be accidentally offensive or stupid. If anyone has any input I'd greatly appreciate it!

明晓慧 sounds rather feminine to me although I suppose it could be a male name. Not sure if 明 is a real surname, if it is it is quite rare and people will tell you it's not a real surname when you introduce yourself.

What is your real name? (Or just your given name if you'd prefer not to put your full name on here?) It can be nice to have a Chinese name that has some reference to one's own name.

• New Members

I talked to my Chinese relatives about this and scratched everything and started over. I really like my younger cousins name which is 张星慧, so we slightly altered it to be 张星云,which we were all happy with. That doesn't sound like anything bad, does it?