Chinese-Forums

Introduction of Pinyin-Part 1

vera_zxl

If you self study Chinese, you can always find a lot of materials. But I noticed not so much basic knowledge content on the market. So I decided to make a pinyin and character course to share. Would you like to let me know if you like it?

post-57655-0-55239200-1436848341_thumb.jpg

post-57655-0-12084100-1436848349_thumb.jpg

My pet peeve: Pīnyīn is missing tone marks.

It looks pretty.

The english could use some correction. Who is the target audience, and what experience do you have with that target audience?

@roddy I don't think sarcasm is appropriate when someone asks for feedback

I could image this being used as hand-outs for new students, looks more attractive than just a dry word document. Bauhaus as a font is a little overused though and especially the bold weight doesn't really fit in this case I think.

OK, in case you really want feedback, here's mine: Present a course if you want appropriate feedback, because two images don't amount to a course. I can only comment on on these two images as what I'd imagine would be instructional materials used in addition to other things such as, for example, audiovisual presentation. In this light I have a few things to say:

• It seems incomplete.
  • It is not entirely accurate.
  • English needs editing.
  • Images on the lower right are irrelevant and distracting.
  • Choice of typefaces is questionable.
  • Above all, this doesn't distinguish itself from most existing materials in any good way.
  • Like 1

The English needs correcting. The pictures are nice but unnecessary.  The type face is ok but doesn't come across as a professional choice. I wonder if the choice of the word course is misleading, I think it is just information.

I think you need to do some more searching on the internet and see just how many things like this are available and do you really feel it is worth your time and effort to duplicate what is already there. You need to think why is yours different or better than others.

My pet peeve: Pīnyīn is missing tone marks.

If you don't think that "Beijing" should always be written "Běijīng" in English, then there's no reason that "pinyin" should always be written "pīnyīn" (except in learning materials which aim to teach you to pronounce the word “拼音” correctly). The only reason to insist on it would be if you insist on making words self-referential, in which case "Chinese characters" or "Hanzi" should always be written as “汉字” or “漢字”, “繁体字” should always be written as “繁體字”, "Spanish" should always be written as "español", etc.

Agree with other posters' comments though. Hofmann summed it up pretty well in #8. If these are slides in a powerpoint you use in classes you teach, they're quite nicely made, and adequate enough to impart the bare bones of how pinyin works, which would presumably be supplemented with more slides and your own teaching. However, if you're aspiring to provide value for self-studying learners that they can't find in other courses, you have a long way to go.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...