Chinese-Forums

working in hongkong or china

elizaberth

hi there,

I have long wanted to work in china or hongkong and hopefully to settle there

but i have no idea where to start...

how do i get started, what do i need and where can i go find info...

.....funny questions eh? :oops:

sorry for that....i really want to know... :help

I don't know about Hong Kong, but in the mainland, teaching English is your quickest in, assuming it is your first language. In that case, start contacting colleges in whatever area you want to live in, my guess is that they would assist you in getting the appropriate visa and help you find a place to live.

I was approached on the street the first week I arrived to a teaching job at my college with that promise. Many of my friends teach english in one way or another and some others have jobs as "resident white people" in a nearby bar where they are only allowed to speak english.

Others I've met have highlighted and tutored on the side for enough money to live on. I'd advise the teacher route with a college that will take care of the details for you.

Good luck.

i think a good place to start would be by listing your qualifications here. what sort of job are you looking for? what skills do you have? do you speak/read/write Chinese? any other languages? university degree?