Chinese-Forums

REVIEW - Beijing International Chinese College - Summer Camp 2015

LiMo

Could you share more about the academic bits?

How heavy was the courseload?

What was the typical daily routine looked like in classroom?

Is there a outline of the course you could share? Perhaps, a course syllabus?

What textbook series did you guys use?

I'd like to see another post that answers questions more on that line.

@edelweis

The age range was probably from around 18-25, maybe a little wider, some people were a little bit older or a little bit younger but most were in university. There were large groups that all came from the same Chinese class at the same university. 

@Ronan Yi

The course load was pretty light for me although it differed between classes. We had a few bits of homework now and then, e.g. write a 500 character report on our home visit to see Chinese families. People in my original class said they had quite a few pieces of homework to do.

The textbooks were different depending on the level of the class. The advanced class used Short-Term Spoken Chinese (Elementary). I'm not sure what the other classes used but I know that they had different text books.

I'm afraid there's no syllabus. We had a schedule but the lessons are all just called "Spoken Chinese". I know that class 7, and so presumably the rest of the intermediate classes, started at the beginning of the textbook I mentioned above and class 8 started somewhere in the middle. We would often start off by reciting the vocabulary list for the current chapter of the textbook. Then we would go on to independently do one or two exercises and go through the answers. Sometimes our teacher would have us memorise a passage and then test us on it. Although this was intimidating at first it was actually not too bad and, as much as I'm against rote memorisation, I may try it out for myself.

I'm not sure what your level is but if you're looking for a full immersion experience it would be very difficult simply because there's such a wide range of abilities represented, even in the most advanced levels. I got some really good practice from making friends with the student volunteers and, unsurprisingly, many of us were approached by other students for language exchange. If you're really serious and you have/can find a friend who is willing then you can probably try to develop immersion for yourselves. Someone who got the most practice was an American girl who made friends with a Japanese girl who didn't speak English but she was the exception. Personally I didn't find the environment that conducive to learning (but that might be because I was travelling light, didn't bring my laptop and my usual study materials) it's four to a room and if no one else is working and there are people walking in and out then it can be a bit difficult.

I would say perhaps the biggest benefit for many people was that it helped make Chinese real for them, something they can really use even if it's just a few words. The workers at the canteen didn't speak English, neither did people at shops outside of campus so if you wanted to do anything you had to open your mouth and speak. If you're already past that stage then maybe you should look elsewhere. As I said before, considering it's free it's well worth it, it's only 3 weeks and it's good fun. You get out what you put in. If you're really determined to learn then I think you could still manage despite the lack of rigour in the course.

• Like 1

Thanks for the extensive write-up, sounds like you had a great time!

I can’t say I learned all that much Chinese due to the classes but this is probably because the summer camp was too hectic and too much of a holiday to facilitate serious learning
This sounds rather disappointing. Of course a summer camp is not the same as an intensive course, but still it would be nice if you would actually make good progress when you spend three (or even two) weeks entirely devoted to Chinese. I can understand the 'Chinese became real' part though, there's this point where one day you find that Chinese is not just words in the textbook but a real thing that you can use to order food (or chat up hot student volunteers, I suppose), and then you actually get the food (or the hot student volunteer). That's a good point to reach and spending time in China is a great way to get there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • New Members

As a classmate of the OP, his review was thorough and fair. That said, my overall impression was less positive.

The camp was good if you want a sampler course of Chinese culture or if you're a beginner looking for a mix of language courses and a taste of China to spur on your studies back home. The excursions are well organized and it was fun to try calligraphy, mask painting, and taiqi.

That said, if you are a fairly serious, intermediate-advanced Chinese language learner, don't come here for the language class. The highest level only covered 3 chapters (~60 words) during the entire camp. Furthermore, for many in our class, of those 60 words,many words (足球,太极拳) were review. Opportunities to speak Chinese are very limited although a determined student can find some. Nothing close to immersion is possible because internet is too slow to watch Chinese movies, the average Chinese level is too low for much conversation, and afternoon lectures are in English.

The camp is supposed to be speaking focused but I felt like our class time was largely spent doing simple drills with too few exercises or activities requiring more than a few word answer. Exceptions to this include a debate which was fairly good (except when the teacher allowed students to speak in English extensively mid-debate) and when we had to teach new vocabulary and grammar to our classmates.

Although I appreciated the free price tag, I wouldn't have gone if I knew how easy and slow the advanced level Chinese class would be and how few opportunities there were for exposure to Chinese. This is the perfect chance to get a quick intro to pinyin and see the Great Wall. If you're only going for the class, I'd suggest looking elsewhere.

• Like 2

• 5 years later...
  • New Members

HI, LImo. 

Just found your post. Your words bring me back to there amazing memories we made there. Perhaps you forgetting me, and so do I (who knows) but yes, we are in same event, same hotel, same activity. Since you're using anonymous. I am Titing from class 4. 

Hope your day cheers up like 6 years back. Xo