Chinese-Forums

Admission Notice but no JW202 form

GotJack

I think I may have an issue, I am going on a 6 month scholarship to Liaocheng university. Whilst organising to go get my Visa from the Chinese consulate in London, I've realised the university have only sent me a Admission notice, not a JW202 form!

I can't really remember the process from when I did it before, but I'm reading on google that if I'm applying for an X2 Visa, I should have this with me. Is this correct?

Yes, I think the site I read was misleading! It seems for an X2 visa an admission notice is sufficient.

Anyhow I have an appointment on Monday morning at the London Visa office, so I will feed back.

P.S - Also on a side note/grumble visa prices seems to have gone up massively. I remember my year long visa being around £60 (bought 2 years ago ish) with this new one 6 month one looking to be around £96. Im possibly wrong though, and that may be price if you are getting it posted.

So some feedback today on whether a JW202 visa form is needed.

1) My friend that has issued at the Manchester centre, eventually got to see a manager who accepted his application but reduced the time to 120 days only (instead of 180) which was fine as this is all he needs. He is due to collect his passport on Wednesday

2) I went to the London visa centre where they also said I needed a JW202 form, despite on large print on the VISA information wall it stating the only thing needed for an X2 visa is admission letter as roddy's above link also states. Anyhow the lady refused to let me see a manager and got a little irate with me. In the end she told me it wouldn't go through, but that I could sign a form that essentially said 'I accept my application is incomplete and am still happy to pay the processing fee to give it a go"

So they have my passport, but whether Ill end with a visa on receival date of 27th August who knows. I'm due to fly on 3rd September so its all a bit touch and go. Anyhow I will be contacting the British Council who are running my scholarship, and the chap I'm dealing with at Liaocheng university and perhaps they can help, possibly get in touch with the visa centre.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated?

• 1 month later...

Follow up on this,

Having had the Chinese visa centre tell me it would be near impossible to secure an X2 visa without a JW202 form (despite all their own material saying otherwise) I did in the end get the visa.

In the period between them taking my passport and finding out whether I would get a visa, I did contact as many people as possible and ask them to make enquiries into it. I know the British Council (as I am one of their scholarship students) got in touch with the Chinese embassy in London, and this may have affected it.

On receiving the visa I did go show it to the lady who had been a little difficult (partly to blow of some steam, partly in hope that in future they can correct their processes). She simply said I had been very lucky, and that their policy on the X2 visa changed all the time as to whether the JW202 form was needed or not.

Anyhow, I guess my future advice for anyone would be try and get as many bits of paper you can whenever with dealing with any bureaucracy in China. Although there will always be some form or stamp your seemingly missing, despite all other relevant information sources saying otherwise   :wink: