Chinese-Forums

Translations for OS GUI Items in Mac and Windows

LaoDing

It is easy to find the Chinese and English pdf files for keyboard commands and menu items in either Chinese and English, and you can try to translate them by comparing, but it would take a lot of work to compile such a translation. Does anyone know if someone has already done it? I'm running Mac OS 10.10 and Windows 8.1. I know Mac well enough that I can pretty function even if everything were in Swahili, but I don't know Windows 7 well at all, and 8 is baffling.

I'd like to keep my OS's in Chinese to learn the terms for my own study and to be able explain things to my more computer savvy colleagues. Thanks.

Someone in Microsoft must have such a compilation. Failing that, perhaps IT staff in some multinational company? It'd be a very good idea to have a vocabulary list but it's probably faster to learn the meanings through using

I never tried Windows 8 or 8.1. Windows 7 is rather clumsy for multi-language use, I don't think it'll help you. If what you want is an OS that makes it easier to switch from one language to another, Windows 10 is probably it. You can go from a fully English to fully Chinese display language in a few clicks (it might need a reboot). It'd be easy to learn the key places and terms to click in order to move from Chinese to English and back. You can also use a different language for different apps without changing your default, so one gets to learn gradually. There are other added joys, like much improved "voices" for Text to Speech.

I haven't yet had time to explore Windows 10 fully, I moved from Windows 7 expecting trouble, but only met a few rather minor problems. I am very happy with the way it handles multiple languages. There are some privacy concerns and frequent updates, but if you don't mind living with either of those, I'd say Windows 10 is the way to go for languages.