Chinese-Forums

Annoying "Study Chinese in China" banner

Manuel

I never get the dude one. Google is too smart...

Imron said:

This problem is easily solved by clicking 'remember me' on the login box. I haven't seen an ad on Chinese-forums for years. (Edit:, I mean a big picture ad, obviously there are the list of sponsors on the main page)

Is this a feature of the forum? I mean, what does log-in state have to do with ads? And if so, why bother putting the ads there in the first place?

The forums are configured to only show big graphical ads to users who are not logged in.  If you log in, the ads go away.  If you stay logged in, you should never see them.

Why put them there in the first place?  There are plenty of people who don't log in, and in fact who may not even have an account.  Regular users however will be put off by ads, so this reaches a nice happy medium.

Walking past a newsagent's stand of women's magazines must blow your mind, Manuel. "Oh my God, women's faces!!!! But... aimed at women....!!!!!"

While I'm happy to respond to legitimate concerns over advertising, I don't think this is one. Those ads are due to come down anyway, but replacements may well feature faces. I don't have stats by gender, but that ad significantly out-performed another one which is if anything takes more of a 'look at the pretty girl' approach, and I suspect an image of a female, in the context of the traditionally-female teaching profession, probably does better across both genders.

"And is it accurate to claim that "men are more sexual-focused?" Are women not (just as) interested in sex?"

I bet they're not if Manuel starts complaining about their faces being designed to make him click things...

Moving. 

• Like 1