Chinese-forums.com
Learn Chinese in China

• Why you should look around

Since 2003, Chinese-forums.com has been helping people learn Chinese faster and get to China sooner. Our members can recommend beginner textbooks, help you out with obscure classical vocabulary, and tell you where to get the best street food in Xi'an. And we're friendly about it too. 

Have a look at what's going on, or search for something specific. We hope you'll join us. 
tallcity

using chinese in retail

tallcity

hello, i work in a university bookstore part-time. there are almost 1000 chinese students, so i use Mandarin quite a bit. i was curious about phrases to use, vocabulary, etc, but all the search results were about Shopping in China. any suggestions?

Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.

Demonic_Duck

Dialogues for shopping in China can be repurposed easily enough. You just need to learn the shop assistant's lines, rather than the customer's.

Anyway, here are a few all-purpose phrases:

When they arrive: 欢迎光临!

When they're wandering around looking lost: 请问有什么事情我可以帮助您吗?

When they leave: 欢迎下次再来! or 欢迎下次光临!

anonymoose

Or authentic Chinese style: 要什么?

Demonic_Duck

That depends if you're going for the all-out customer service charm offensive or not. :wink:

陳德聰

I think a simple "需要幫助嗎" was what I used to say every day when I worked retail, but you often get "no, thanks" and they just keep wandering around lost. I prefer to actually just eavesdrop and find out what they're looking for first before revealing that I speak Chinese. Just learn "the XYZ section is over there".

Mindmaxd

需要帮助吗 is english asking way,需要什么or买点儿什么  is usually used in grocery,there are many kind of things the seller use it to know what kind do you want to buy,In the bookstore there are mainly or just books,so you can say 想买 什么 书 or 需要什么 书,and then you can tell them where is the book in the bookstore.

Kenny同志

先生/小姐/同學/兄台/姑娘,你要買什麼書?

先生/小姐/同學/兄台/姑娘,不知有什麼可以為你效勞?

vellocet

Make sure to follow them around the store, pester them, and lift random products off the shelf and push them into their hands.  It'll make them feel right at home!

• Like 1

Demonic_Duck

To be fair, I've never been pestered in a Chinese bookstore. Actually, the employees normally say nothing unless you ask a question, and when you ask them a question they're normally helpful.

• Like 2

陳德聰
需要帮助吗 is english asking way

Oh is it? It sounds pretty rude in English to ask this way actually.