Chinese-Forums

Tian Long Ba Bu.... again...

Song You Shen

So I just finished this series. It was pretty good, but nothing too special. It ended kind of abruptly, as to hint that there might be another episode or two. Also, the name of the movie is "Heaven's Dragon, Eigth Episode"... why is it the "eigth episode"? Are there previous episodes? If you can help curb my confusion, I thank you! ;)

Also, I'm about to start watching the huge "Romance of the 3-Kingdom's" series. I heard it was pretty good. Anyone have any reviews of it? I'm also looking for other really good wuxia series, so if you have any suggestions, let me know. Thanks.

Song You Shen

It's more "eight parts" rather than "eighth episode", and the title comes out of Buddhist scripture. In the intro to the novel, Jin Yong explains the title:

“天龙八部”这名词出于佛经。许多大乘佛经叙述佛向诸菩萨、比丘等说法时,崐常有天龙八部参与听法。如“法华经:提婆达多品”:“天龙八部、人与非人,皆崐遥见彼龙女成佛”。

“非人”,包括八种神道怪物,因为以“天”及“龙”为首,崐所以称为《天龙八部》。八部罗,七归那罗,八摩听罗迦。

这部小说里没有神道精怪,只是借用这个佛经名词,以象征崐一些现世人物,就象“水浒”中有母夜叉孙二娘、摩云金翅欧鹏。

The standard title in English is Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils, using the same Buddhist reference that Jin Yong uses in the original title.

Incidentally, which version did you watch?

I wish I could read that much Chinese, unfortunately my 1 year of Chinese training is not sufficient to understand that yet. :)

I'm not entirley sure which version it is... but I think it's the Taiwanese version. It's distributed by PMP Entertainment and has 40 episodes. Also, it's kind of strange, it is in Mandarin, but they speak a lot of Cantonese in it too. Why is that? So does that mean ther are different versions?

Song You Shen