Chinese-Forums

Why is the pronunciation always different?

Shannnon247

As I've started attempting to learn Mandarin, I've tried to use as many resources as possible. I listen to Pimsleur's course on CD while in my car. I also listen to "Learn Mandarin Anywhere" on tune-in when I'm at work. Once I start to look certain things up on apps or websites, it seems like every single resource pronounces words differently. Sometimes I turn on a radio station and I can make out some simple words. Maybe 1 every minute. On the other hand, when I listen to another radio show or tv show, I can't make head or tails of anything. It's confusing and frustrating. Does anyone else have this issue? If it's because of dialect? How can I stay with the same dialect?

From your description it could be anything from different voices to different languages. For example, if you put an english word into two different talking dictionaries and notice a difference, they might be translating as two different words with similar meanings in Mandarin, or the computer's voice recordings might just have differences. If you're listening to a radio program, maybe they keep switching on and off between Mandarin and Hokkien for example.

If you can give us some examples, maybe we can say 'oh, that's actually Cantonese' or 'yeah, they're talking REALLY fast' or whatever. But if you've just started out then listening - and definitely listening to native-level content - is going to be bewildering. Picking out one word a minute is a decent start. 

Maybe try some audio content that's designed for your level - do a search on here for 'graded readers' and look for something with audio. Or lower your expectations when you're listening - aim to pick out numbers and dates when listening to the news, something like that. 

Welcome to the site!

I would be surprised if the pronunciation wasn't different, but not so different that it wasn't understandable. The range of accents in English is enough so that to the inexperienced ear (mine, when I first came to the UK) people from northern counties ie: Jordies, was complete gibberish to my ear, but after a while i worked out what was being said and now its not so bad.

Perhaps to start with you should stick with one set of learning materials, you say you tried to use as many resources as you can, but this may prove to be confusing in the beginning

I noticed you are only using listening materials, IMHO you need to have some written materials to help understand the differences and to help explain grammar. Have a look at using a textbook, I use New Practical Chinese Reader, this has textbooks, workbooks, audio and video. This will help to give you a rounded approach to learning.

If you are at all interested, have a read of my blog about how I use NPCR http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/blog/108-my-chinese-learning-blog/

Hope this is of some help and that you enjoy your journey into learning chinese :)

As you're beginning, yes, do as Roddy says. But as you go keep in the back of your mind that you should gradually develop a tolerance for accents and imperfect speech. When I started I selected what seemed to me to be beautifully perfectly spoken materials, but I stuck to that for too long.

Shelley suggested written materials, for more than one reason. One reason is to have written language to look at, as an aid. Yes, but try not be become dependent on seeing the written words, but ensure as you go that you can catch the sounds alone, passing by. For me, the written language was too easy relative to listening, and I fooled myself for a long time.

Good luck!

Radio is a great tool for a bunch of reasons: there is limited context, different accents, speed, reception interference and no subtitles.

I started by listening to the daily weather and forex reports. These follow a similar format every day, but with enough variability to keep it interesting. Also the information is useful.

Welcome to the joys of language learning! In audio materials made for language learners, one usually speaks much more slowly and clearly than in real life. Native speech actually completely omits some sounds, and pronounces other sounds in ways that can vary considerably from idealized pronunciation, depending on the speaker. I'll second the advice that if you want to listen to native material, you should try to find some easier things to start with.

• New Members

I‘m Chinese. In fact when I began learning English, I met the same problem. I can recognize the pronunciation read by Chinese,but can not recognize the pronunciation by foreigners. I though we ha  the solution is we should do more reading and listening. 

It would be abnormal to be immediately able to understand accents perfectly! I agree it is exposure and experience that helps understand different accents.

I went to Canada and my teenage cousins, Canadian born and bred, needed a couple of days to adjust to my British accent. It's not hard to realise the same goes for Chinese.

I love that this forum is so active. There is such great input from everyone. I found part of my issue was most TV and radio I found played a combo of Mandarin and Cantonese. I think I finally found my home at http://www.am1300.com. As far as I can tell it's all mandarin. The only word I concerned about at this time is "is"' it's such a common word and I'm not sure how to say it. May CD says "shurr" or maybe "shrr." Google translate says "Shi" and other places say something in the middle. Shoul people understand me if I say "shrr" because the cd is where I get my speaking practice?

Posted by phone.

I love that this forum is so active. There is such great input from everyone. I found part of my issue was most TV and radio I found played a combo of Mandarin and Cantonese. I think I finally found my home at http://www.am1300.com. As far as I can tell it's all mandarin. The only word I concerned about at this time is "is"' it's such a common word and I'm not sure how to say it. May CD says "shurr" or maybe "shrr." Google translate says "Shi" and other places say something in the middle. Shoul people understand me if I say "shrr" because the cd is where I get my speaking practice?

Posted by phone.

I know that many China radio presenters have to have very standard Mandarin pronunciation. So if you listen to a well established radio station based in China, the pronunciation will be pretty much consistent. Radio interviews with people will have more variability.

BTW, listening to radio is all about getting practice at hearing the different sounds and being able to differentiate them. You might actually be hearing two or three different words but think that all of them are "shi".

As a beginner, what you hear may also come out of your mouth differently! So do try to get someone to listen to you, get feedback, and help in differentiating different sounds and tones. I had my fair share (and still have ) of frustrations.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for everyone's input. I was unable to record my cd lessons. I did try and say a few things outside my car today. Since no one I know speaks it, I just put it out on facebook. Can anyone understand anything? https://www.facebook.com/tim.odoms/videos/1220373814656338/ .

go for a beer? :)

Decent for a beginner. :)