Chinese-Forums

Learning Materials etc.

TurkeyMan

I am new to these forums but I know that questions of this nature have been asked before, but my question has a different quality...

I am a LOW INTERMEDIATE or HIGH BEGINNER and have been using Communicating in Chinese by Cynthia Ning and some other thing for reading and writing, I am tought by a Chinese tutor. I am wondering what are good books for a LOW INTERMEDIATE. I can remember many characters when I see them, write a few, and am told I have very good pronounciation. So I would like a book that I can study with my tutor (not exactly self-study) and that continues after all the basics that are in most beginning books (i.e. how to read pinyin and speak in tones, how to order at a resturuant, asking directions, etc. etc.). The problem is, though, I am not really at the intermediate level, I can't comprehend almost anything in a Chinese news paper, and I look at intermediate books written entirely in Chinese and I don't understand most of it.

So, can anyone recommend a textbook for low intermediate that focuses especially on speaking and listening, with some emphasis on characters (seeing as how I am using something else).

Sorry this is so long, I just wanted to specify my condition and see if anyone can help me,

非常感谢。

If you're in mainland China (which has a few towns called Oblivion, so maybe you are), I recommend Chinese Made Easier 实用速成汉语 by 田皓皓and 石明理 (Martin Symonds) which is put out by Shaanxi Normal University Press. 陕西师范大学出版社(I don't know if it's available outside China. ) Books 4 & 5 are the intermediate books. This series has excellent notes and explanations for grammar and lots of useful dialogues for life in China. It uses pinyin in dialogues then replaces them with characters only after you've encountered the new characters 10 times I would even recommend Books 1-3 (the beginning books) for a review. These books aren't perfect but I'm a Chinese textbook junkie and this series is the most practical I've encountered. Lots of foreigners studying in China are using them,

No I am not in China right now (although I plan to be in the future, though I don't know how far into it). Actually I didn't even know that oblivion was a tangible place, I guess it is in China though ;-)

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into them,

再见。

I've been trying to get in touch with the Shaanxi Normal University Press to see if there is a way to purchase Chinese Made Easier outside of China (some internet searches have come up empty.) Another forum member also asked me about these books. I haven't heard back from Shaanxi yet, but when (and IF) I get the info i'll let everyone know. -XK

Have you ever heard anything about the New Standar Chinese series? If so, what have you heard?

It looks like a few people do sell the Chinese Made Easier series outside China (see chinasprout.com).

再见

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Martin-

I am searching for a complete self-study course for a young friend of mine, and your course sounds for interesting.

One of the most important parts of a self-study course is the quality of the recordings. It has been my experience so far that MP3 isn't the greatest. Is there somewhere that I could listen to a sample of your recordings?