Chinese-Forums

Hacking Chinese Listening Challenge Oct. 2015

DachZanz

Who else is enrolled in the listening challenge at Hacking Chinese?  What are you listening to?  How's it going?  When do you find time to listen?  If anyone's interested maybe we can talk about it more in-depth over.

http://challenges.hackingchinese.com/challenges/22-extensive-listening-challenge-october-2015/participations/973

Here's the link to my profile.  I'm mostly listening to 慢速中文 on the subways or during downtime at work.  I'm at least 3 hours behind where I should be by now, but hope to catch up soon (I'm in the process of moving now, so maybe that's why, or maybe I'm just lazy).

I would say about 80% is passive listening or background listening, but I do my best to tune in.  The point of the challenge is volume, anyway, over high-quality.

What are you listening to? How's it going?

At the moment I don't measure my listening time, so I'm not taking part in the challenge.

I tend to have background Chinese tv or Chinese songs during the evening meal and at odd moments like when I do my knee rehab exercises.

And I have this MP3 of all the lessons in the textbook I am too lazy to study, which plays all night and (sometimes) conveniently drowns out the city noises. Occasionally if I wake up before the clock rings, I recognize or look up a new word on my smartphone while still in bed.

Sometimes I search 新闻联播 for sequences on the same topic as an article I've read, and try to listen for the vocabulary I encountered in the article. Currently that's the only kind of active listening I do... and quite infrequently.

Thanks for the link. I see they have a writing challenge in November. That sounds interesting, if only to get in the habit of writing a few sentences in Chinese everyday again...

• Like 1