Chinese-Forums

"sleepy" 眼瞓/眼训

metlx

I was searching for words other than 困 to describe sleepiness, and I came across 眼瞓。It is a Cantonese word,but I found it interesting enough to ask 2 people from Guangzhou about it.

They immediately recognised 眼瞓, but both of them pointed out it should be written as 眼训 (even my pinyin input recommends that).

So I checked if I mistakenly looked up  traditional characters, but that wasn't the case.

瞓 is a character both in simplified and traditional form, whereas 训 is a simplified form of 訓。瞓 (to sleep) has a different meaning than 训 (to teach).

简体:瞓

繁体:瞓

简体:训
繁体:訓

Both google translate and mdbg.net tell me 眼瞓 is the correct way to say it, not 眼训。
So who is right, the dictionary or the 2 Cantonese persons I asked?

Yeah, I don't know where they got "should be written as ..."

Where are you getting that 瞓 is a simplified character? I have never seen this character except in Cantonese language materials. The only reason anyone would write it as 眼训 is because 瞓 is not a standard character, but a "Cantonese" character. I can't even pull up 瞓 on my simplified IME. But if they try to tell you that the word 眼瞓 "should be written as "眼训", they are wrong. 眼训 is just how people type it to represent the actual word 眼瞓 because there isn't a 瞓 in the simplified input method. People who don't speak Cantonese likely won't even be able to guess what 眼训 means.

• Like 1