Chinese-Forums

Robert Mugabe awarded Confucius Peace Prize

abcdefg

It is China's answer to the Nobel Peace Prize. Recipient this year is Robert Mugabe, president of Zimbabwe. He was credited with promoting "universal harmony." Previous winners include Vladimir Putin and Fidel Castro.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/23/world/africa/zimbabwean-president-condemned-by-west-is-selected-for-chinese-peace-prize.html?emc=edit_th_20151023&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=15458255

Anyone find this a bit strange?

Yes and no, I am at all times surprised and then upon reflection not surprised at what China chooses to do.

A bit like anti Nobel peace prizes, "we will deliberately pick the weirdest choice just to weird the world out."

Lets just hope not many people get to hear about it.

Yes Kissinger would be the only one in any way comparable, in my opinion.

Given previous recipients it isn't a total surprise but it seems that even when given such latitude they may have pushed it too far. No small number of Chinese in my friendship group for example, are fairly embarrassed by this one. Mugabe has wreaked havoc and delighted in some fairly grotesque behavior (torture, arson, murder).

This has pissed a lot of Africans off also. It doesn't seem the most shrewd move. What are the odds on Kim Jong-un next year?

• Like 1

Anyone who's taking this seriously should have a read of the last two paragraphs in abdefg's link, and also this old topic. There is no government link, no credibility, no reason for the NY Times to be publishing this except some cheap and easy copy.

I'm kind of surprised the government hasn't leaned on the organisers, but maybe they're not based in the mainland (the organisation is HK registered), maybe they have their own connections, maybe they're just not seen as important enough to bother with. The real story here is how a couple of jokers can issue a press release and get a story picked up all over the world. 

"I'll be surprised if we hear of it being awarded next year." Me, 2010

Shows how much I know...

• Like 1

The funny part about this and the old topic is that even after people were told how the PRC Government has nothing to do with the prize, they kept on talking.

Why?

Stereotypes? Are they projecting their own thoughts?

The Internet is interesting, information can be transmitted quickly, but it is a double-edged sword.

The Protocols of the Elders of Zion had such a terrible impact in the past. With the Internet now, who knows what might happen.

http://www.jstor.org/stable/1771244