Chinese-Forums

Cantonese 40 day challenge

Beardan

Hi all,

For those interested I am doing a Cantonese 40 day challenge where i try and speak Cantonese for between 1 and 3 minutes each day. I am on day 6 today!

Just go to youtube and type in 'Cantonese 40 day challenge' and one of my videos should come up. As you will be able to tell I am a former model and once voted best looking guy on the planet (my wife was the judge and she wasnt allowed to count anyone she wasnt married to).

Cheers,

Dan

Hi Shelley, I just keep the video at a decent length otherwise if its too long i feel people will tune out a bit. Also if i aim too big i may not be able to complete the task. However in saying that, Sundays video went for 6 minutes so the occasional video might go outside of the 1-3 minute range. Todays video was 3.52 so the 1-3 minutes is not very strict! 

Oh okay, are you making a video of each 1-3 minute of talking? I am not learning Cantonese, and so try not expose my self to avoid confusion. I was just a bit confused as to how 1-3 minutes was a challenge but I suppose if you are just beginning it might be.

Hope it goes well.

I have actually been learning for 4 years, but dont speak often enough, so if i set myself a goal of speaking everyday for 40 days, i will hopefully achieve it.. I am hoping that speaking everyday about different, and occasionally the same things, it will help me improve my speaking ability! :)

Yup, the eternal learners problem when self studying, lack of speaking, I am guilty of it my self. have just found a nice little app, mandarin only, that includes a speaking section, has helped a lot. Its called Learnchinese HelloChinese.

How did you manage to study Cantonese without speaking, I thought Cantonese is mostly spoken language...

can still listen :)

Cantonese can be represented by characters which are non-standard Chinese. That helped me a lot when I was learning.

Beardan

I saw the day 4 about describing the books you use.

I would say your Cantonese is easily understandable though not so accurate. It's good!! Was that an unscripted video?

Here is a tip. When describing the inside of a book, you can use the word 内容 - contents

Yes Flickserve my videos are all unscripted, however i do have a bit of an idea of what i want to say. Actually for this video i may have written a few points in English to help me remember what i wanted to say.

I cant read Chinese. Can you give me the yale or jyutping (my yale is far better but i use jyutping on Cantodict) for those characters please. Thanks for your advice!