Chinese-Forums

sorry to ask, but could someone translate this very short sentence, please

guest1234

Hi All

I can not get this right so I have come to the experts, I need to say

This old photo, me and jackie chan doing publicity for the film Rush Hour in 1998. Taken in London.

For some reason I am all over the place with this.

Any help greatly received  

Phil

I don't really understand the English sentence. Isn't some verb or context missing? (English is not my first language)

my attempts (probably incorrect but since you neglected to give your own...  :P  might as well give the experts some starting point.)

This old photo shows me and jackie chan doing publicity for the film Rush Hour in 1998. Taken in London.

这张旧照片上是我和成龙1998年为《尖峰時刻》那部电影做广告活动。在伦敦拍的。

I meant this old photo, me and jackie chan doing publicity for the film Rush Hour in 1998. Taken in London.

就是这张旧照片,上面是我和成龙1998年为《尖峰時刻》那部电影做广告活动。在伦敦拍的。

• Like 1

Thanks edelweis

Sorry about that I had put my attempt, but not checked it. I must have removed it.  Please see below. 

这张老照片。我和成龙在伦敦做宣传的电影尖峰時刻1998年

I had the wrong word for publicity along with everything else.

Regards

Phil

@edelweis I too had problems with English sentence, only by rewriting it does it make sense in English to me.

This is an old photo taken in London of me and Jackie Chan doing publicity for the film Rush Hour in 1998.

I would then try to translate this, I will go away and have a go, good practice if nothing else. :)

To be honest to make the sentence correct I should have written it like so.

This is an old photo taken in 1998 in London , It shows jackie Chan and I  doing publicity for the film Rush Hour.

It was written that way for what I was using it for.

But being from Manchester I am lucky I can walk upright. :)

Regards

Phil.

• Like 1

The more I drink the better my Chinese is.

I am just coming back to Chinese having left it far too long. I was very poor before but now I can not make the simplest of sentences. I hope some of it comes back, I do not remember it being this hard.

Thanks for the help Shelley.

Phil

• Like 1

This is an old photo taken in 1998 in London , It shows jackie Chan and I  doing publicity for the film Rush Hour.

Edelweis' versions are fine. For what it is worth, here my attempt: 這張舊照片是1998年在倫敦拍的。上面是我和成龍在為電影《尖峰時刻》做宣傳。

• Like 1

But being from Manchester I am lucky I can walk upright. :)

+1 for the LOL

@Kenny同志: thank you for checking my attempts.

Would you say that there is a difference between 做宣传 and 做广告活动?

For some reason I envision 做宣传 as some kind of paperwork (creating visuals and sending them to newspapers etc),

and for 做广告活动 I imagine some hands on stuff like being interviewed in talk shows and doing stunts.

Would you say that there is a difference between 做宣传 and 做广告活动?

I think they are similar in a few ways but there are some differences that are noteworthy between them.

First, their natures can be different: 廣告活動 is primarily used for commercial purposes (but personally, I wouldn’t use 廣告活動 for the translation of the OP’s sentence because if I do, that would sound a bit pretentious), for example, promoting commodities or telling people about a event, especially one launched by a company with commercial purposes , whereas 宣傳 is much more versatile, for example, when you 做宣傳, you can promote your product, spread political propaganda, or even something good/bad about somebody.

Second, the scales on which they are conducted can be different. Again, 宣傳 has a wider range of scales. It can be a very large campaign but I imagine it is also applicable to such a situation in which Jenny tells her friend that a certain perfume her aunt sells is great. 廣告活動, on the other hand, is generally aimed at quite many people.

Lastly, 宣傳 is an ordinary word which can be neutral or pejorative—it means spreading propaganda sometimes, whereas 廣告活動 is slightly technical, and always neutral. 

For some reason I envision 做宣传 as some kind of paperwork (creating visuals and sending them to newspapers etc),

宣傳 doesnt necessarily involve creative work though it often does.

and for 做广告活动 I imagine some hands on stuff like being interviewed in talk shows and doing stunts. 

宣傳 is more appropriate in most of such cases.

• Like 2