Chinese-Forums

help

peeyuwu

I would appreciate knowing the author of the following "facing unite":

"Nourish Heaven Earth Center Breath,

Emulate Past Current Complete Person".

(my apologies for this yang-gin bon translation)

Was is Wen tian-xiang (Sung dynasty) or Shih KoFa (Ming dynasty) or somebody else? Could you fill me in on the story behind this phrase?

Thanks.

"Nourish Heaven Earth Center Breath,

Emulate Past Current Complete Person".

Translation: 养天地之正气, 法古今之完人

The Author: 孙中山 (Sun Yatsen )

Could you fill me in on the story behind this phrase?

In this distich (对联), Sun hoped he could emulate the heroes like Wen, Tianxiang (闻天祥), Shih, Kofa(史可法)and finish the Chinese democratic revolution in his life.

June 28, 2005

Dear StudentYoung:

My deepest appreciation. You might be "young", however, you are "Good Learn No Tired" and I admire your "bountiful knowledge" as well as your "willingness to share".

Furthermore, I also learned a new phrase "distich (对联)" which I in my ignorace, translated as "facing unite". In Taiwan, we learned that Wen Tiang-hsien's "Wen" is Literature (文 ). Is his surname now "Hearing" (闻 ) on the Motherland? :wink:

Being a long time "non dues paying" member of the Kuomintang, I bow in disgrace before my Party's founder Dr. Sun.

Again, many thanks.

"Old Rotten"

Dear “Old Rotten 老学究”

My deepest appreciation. You might be "young", however, you are "Good Learn No Tired" and I admire your "bountiful knowledge" as well as your "willingness to share".

First, thanks so much for praising me “Good Learn No Tired 学而不厌” :mrgreen: . As for “bountiful knowledge”, I think I am too young and still have to learn hard to achieve this. As for “willingness to share”, I think it is one of the reasons we go to this board, right? :wink:

In Taiwan, we learned that Wen Tiang-hsien's "Wen" is Literature (文 ). Is his surname now "Hearing" (闻 ) on the Motherland?

Second, thanks for your “Good Teach No Wearied 诲人不倦”. 8) Indeed, it should be “文天祥”. Sorry, please excuse me for my typo, for I had to reply your post in a rush yesterday.

Cheers!

“Young Rotten” 小学究 :mrgreen:

“学而不厌,诲人不倦,何有于我哉?” 《论语·述而》