Chinese-Forums

Looking to start watching a Chinese Series (or movies)

StonyParrot

Hey guys!

Not long ago I started studying Chinese and now I would be really interested in watching a TV series and hoped you could suggest one to me. It should be easy language, preferably without strong accent. Subtitles would also be a nice extra. I've tried looking into some of the series from the Grand First Episode Project, but a lot of it seems to sadly be outdated :(

I hope you can help me and thanks a lot in advance! =)

Greetings,

Stony

Were you not able to find working links for the Great Episode Project ones? There's plenty of great shows on there, some with transcripts and discussion. 

That said, we are overdue for some new recommendations. What kind of show do you like?

The first series I saw was 我们无处安放的青春 (restless youth). So far it is the only series that I can say captured my attention within the first minute. It is the only show I’ve watched all episodes without focusing on learning. I was hooked from the very first scene. I keep coming back to it every few months and I notice as my listening comprehension improves I understand more and more. Great acting.

I have just finished watching 大好时光. A series from 2015. The plot is simple (romantic love story ish) and the language is quite easy as well. It also has chinese subtitles. You can find it on www.letv.com

If you are a fan of history, I recommend 《金婚》it tells the story of a couple that meet and fall in love in 1958 and each episode is a year of their life together as China changes and grows. Sometimes the story is simple, like arguing with neighbors when they live in common housing. My favorite episode is during the cultural revolution, when they use the fervor of the time to try to get a free vacation so they can have some "intimate time", since their house is filled with children and a mother-in-law. They get caught and hauled in front of a communist committee and they have to explain themselves.

Thank you all for the great suggestions! I'll make sure to check them out as soon as possible :)

Were you not able to find working links for the Great Episode Project ones? There's plenty of great shows on there, some with transcripts and discussion. 

That said, we are overdue for some new recommendations. What kind of show do you like?

Yes, I've found quite a few working links and I will look further into them as well. But I thought it ould be nice to get some new input! And I don't think I really care about the genre of the show, because most of the thrill will come from trying to understand the dialogues and hopefully eventually succeeding. As I said, I'm fairly new to Chinese :)