Chinese-Forums

Thousand-hand Guanyin 千手觀音

skylee

I have been looking for this clip for SOOOOOO long... it is so enjoyable and amazing to watch. Thank you so much for posting it! My search is over!!!!!!! :) I believe this was at this years New Year show in Beijing, correct?

Youshen

I was also told that these girls were gathered from around China, and that they are all deaf. They do all of the progressive movements by watching the trainer. If this is true, this is very interesting.

Youshen

Peng,

Are you really hearing impaired? So am I, and I learned Chinese Sign Language in Beijing.

To the others,

Yes, the dancers in this performance are deaf.

I worked at a Chinese school for the deaf and learned that dance is an important part of the curriculum in schools for the deaf.

• 3 weeks later...

They were not just girls, there were several male members in the dance too. I saw a sort of 'Making of 千手觀音' video, the coach talked about how hard they practiced. During practice if a hand is not in the right place, the coach would draw a mark on that hand, and at the end they'll see who had the most marks.