Chinese-Forums

Which cities do not require 2 years post-graduate work experience for Z visa?

Sme90

Its next to impossible to find out online which cities don't need this requirement. Does anyone know from personal experience, or know people who have applied to cities without meeting this requirement? The only city that I know of is Changsha, but even with that one I am not 100% sure. Other people say Tier 2, 3+ cities, but it seems even some of these have this requirement as well.

I'm only asking because I am actively looking for work in China (just graduated with bachelors in computer science, have 2 years of relevant experience but unfortunately it is all done before I graduated, even though I would essentially be doing the same work after I graduated  :( ). I just don't want to waste my time or another company's time trying to apply for work in a place where I would eventually get turned down.

Thanks

It's best not to think of it as a requirement but as a guideline. Different cities or provinces will be more flexible depending on how badly they need to attract someone and how unattractive their city or province is.

It would also depend on the job and how much of a demand there is for that. For example, the demand for English teachers always exceeds supply so even if there is a requirement for two years teaching experience listed, in practice it isn't that strict. Somewhere like BEIJING or Shanghai can be strict because it's popular and they can choose who they like. Somewhere like Yinchuan which many foreigners have never heard of, likely list the requirement but actually will accept most people who want to go and work there. Otherwise they won't get anyone.

You are very unlikely to find any kind of list online and, if you're looking for a job in a specific field that isn't teaching, I'd imagine you won't find others experiences posted online either. I would just apply to jobs anyway and see what happens.

• Like 1

I don't think it specifically has to be post-graduate experience? Unless you are under 25 of course, in which case they probably can't see how an under-25 would have a degree and 2 years work experience.

I don't think you'd be wasting people's time. Things like visa processing don't get started until they're sure you'll meet the requirements anwyay. Maybe try emailing schools directly?

I've read from many sources that it needs to be post graduate experience. I am actually 25, almost 26, but I'm not sure that matters since they will see my degree was received in December 2015.

Also I'm not trying to get an English teaching position, but rather a software engineer/developer position, which seems like it will be quite a bit difficult. I'm beginning to wonder if it is even feasible to attempt to find this type of work without post grad experience, though like I said I will try anyways. I'll keep people here updated, for those interested...

Why don't you first try to find a job in your home country and gain some additional experience there? Especially in IT related fields, where Chinese students are quite OK, I can't really see why would a Chinese employer consider you a better candidate for a job than a Chinese graduate. As a foreigner, you entails more risk (in terms of language, culture, attitude).

• Like 1

Its certainly something I've thought about, but given the fact I am 25, and already have 2 years of experience (my current employer has offered to allow me to continue working here if I wish, so considering I would still be doing the exact same work, it would be of no benefit to furthering my career skills). So i figured I'd try anyways.

You can try to find a job in your preferred China city. And ask the employer to find a way to handle your residence permit for work. 

Or you can turn to an agent for help. 

In Beijing, although 2-year work experience after graduate is one of the requirements, there are still some ways out. 

in shenzhen ,if your current working job is not the same with the major during university ,then will require 2 working experience for working visa ,but sometimes need depend on government decison,sometimes will be strictly requriement .

Its certainly something I've thought about, but given the fact I am 25, and already have 2 years of experience (my current employer has offered to allow me to continue working here if I wish, so considering I would still be doing the exact same work, it would be of no benefit to furthering my career skills). So i figured I'd try anyways.

if you don't try, you won't know so yeah, I would say give it a try.

Just try to anticipate what advantage do you hold over a local person that would make you more employable. 2 years versus 4 years experience? 4 years in a niche area? A lot of times, jobs are referral based and easier to get if you have more working time under your belt.