Chinese-Forums

饮水过量?

Lu

I'm still reading literature reviews and came across this sentence, again about Xu Zechen (the whole article is here):

清晰、沉实地向广袤的地方着眼,从浩大人群的正面着手,这种面对世界的习惯类似于常规的经典传统方式,仿佛有意同饮水过量而导致频频内急的今日写作风俗找别扭。

I understand the first part (he has a broad view, looks at humanity and wants to act/do something; this worldview is similar to the classical, traditional approach), but the second part is more difficult. He wants to write differently from the rest of today's crowd, but what does that crowd do? 'Drinking too much water and then having to go all the time' is clearly used figuratively. Is it something like 'navel-gazing'?

Thanks for any help!

I would say that it is not similar. Navel gazing =

1. self-indulgent or excessive contemplation of oneself or a single issue, at the expense of a wider view.
    "he lapsed into his customary navel-gazing"

Not sure but 'Drinking too much water and then having to go all the time" seems more like time wasting or finding some way to get out of doing something.

Also navel gazing is the opposite to the first part of your paragraph.

I am pretty certain it doesn't mean navel gazing but I am only guessing at its actual meaning,

清晰、沉实地向广袤的地方着眼,从浩大人群的正面着手,这种面对世界的习惯类似于常规的经典传统方式,仿佛有意同饮水过量而导致频频内急的今日写作风俗找别扭。

As a native speaker, I find it hard to make sense of what the author was trying to say. I am sure the sentence could have been much clearer, after all the topic was not about rocket science. 

Personally I would skip the review after reading the first few sentences.

Too late, I already read it. His overall point is that Xu Zechen is the first author in almost a decade who has an academic background and keeps tradition in mind in his writing, and that Xu is not like other authors of his generation, who write drivel for kids. Doesn't add much to my understanding of Xu's work, but unfortunately I tend to only find out how worthwhile something is after I spent at least half an hour reading most of it. Ah well. I learned some new words.

Shelley: as I understand that sentence, he says here that Xu is different from the others, and that the others are the ones who drink too much water and then run to the bathroom all the time. Hence my guess of 'navel-gazing', but 'pointlessly wasting time' would also fit, so like yourself I'm also still guessing.

I think this is an ironic metaphor. In authors point of view, nowadays many writers are writing like they are urinating,

like those who drank to much water so they can't help themselves, must run to the toilet, these writers don't take time to think and write hastily.

And Xu Zechen seems to oppose this writing manner on purpose, so he keeps his grand, academic style and approach.

• Like 1

Edita, that makes sense too, thanks.

Anonymoose, it's not nearly important enough for that. I don't have to translate it, and the point comes across even if I don't get this particular metaphor.

I kind of read it as a reference to the immaturity of the style of writers today. Children often chronically drink too much water and need to go to the washroom badly rather than just drinking a normal amount and peeing a normal amount. This made me think of self-awareness and just overall self-control. I think it also may allude to the style of writing where you try to cram too many conflicts (water) and resolutions (peeing) into one story. I mean, it's definitely a jab at the perceived "current style", but yeah it seems pretty open to interpretation.