Chinese-Forums

周杰伦

Outofin

At first, I thought 周杰伦 was just another popular star made by the music industry. But I heard many good comments about him from some of my friends, some singers I love and some serious news magazines. I borrowed 叶惠美 from a friend. It’s not for my age but I like it. I can hardly say it’s original. But, a perfect imitation is not a bad thing at all. I specially love the sound of drawing sword out of the scabbard in his Dual Swords 双刀. It's the coolest sound effect I’ve ever heard.

jay070903.jpg

To be honest, I can't say that I'm very keen on his singing style (he mumbles and it irritates me.. LOL, I can't help it!!) and personally, I believe that he's also not that great when he's singing live, but I do appreciate the guy for his songwriting talent - cos he does have some really good stuff out there that he's written for himself and other people (whether it's been pulled off that well vocally, is another story..)

Anyway, there's my two cents on the piece.

Jay's music is actually pretty distinctive... listen to Jolin's latest album and you can spot which ones he's been involved with without bothering to check the album notes. The background gives it completely away.

His earlier albums have a lot of cross-genre fare and stick heavily to bubble-gum ballads, but thats presumably a marketing thing.... And I don't know what its called, but he wrote a song to a backdrop of ping pong sounds which was pretty cool.

So power to him. The guy's back is apparently is fairly bad shape, but he's not a bad pianist, and his music is increasingly solid,even if his new racing movie looks positively awful.

Trevelyan: I thought the big thing about Jolin's latest album was that Jay wasn't involved at all - you know, "could she do it on her own?"

Here's one of those "serious news magazine" articles Outofin was talking about - definitely fanboyish, but certainly quite different from his teen-idol image.

• 7 months later...

I like Jay Chou.

It's the coolest sound effect I’ve ever heard.

Yea his songs always bring new surprises. And the bold and unusual style is very cool and refreshing. New breakthroughs everytime. Have you ever listened to a song by Jay Chou and Jolin Tsai, entitled "佈拉克廣場"? One word, wow.

• 1 year later...

He is my favourite artist of all time even if he does mumble alot. If any of you have his DVD's that show his making of the MV's you will notice he mumbles when he talks anyway lol. I respect him because he even stated he won't change his singing style no matter how much criticism he received.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

"千里之外" definitely comes to mind when I think of him even though the song is rather new in his career. The lyrics, singing, music...... all works. I don't mind the mumbling at all (except maybe for comprehension purposes).