Chinese-Forums

江湖版三国演义

carlo

Has anybody read this? It's a hilarious comicbook rendition of the Romance of Three Kingdoms, written by a Korean artist who was born in China, 高羽荣. I can imagine it being a hit in Western countries if translated well. Unfortunately it seems that only the first 4 volumes are available in Chinese translation.... so what now, do I have to learn Korean? :shock:

http://www.dangdang.com/product_detail/product_detail.asp?product_id=8845026

Ah! I saw this at a bootleg bookshop the other day in a thick, single volume 5-yuan version. I wasn't aware it was incomplete, but then the 三国 I'm familiar with doesn't end with a massive nuclear detonation, so I had nothing to compare it to.

Quite fun, but I'd imagine the real version is much easier on the eyes.

Well, yeah, not exactly a faithful adaptation, but a fun, vivid one. Just called the publishers, the other six books are not coming out before 2007, because of a disagreement over the translation rights. On the other hand, the 江湖 version of 水浒传, by the same author, is also available.

He was born in Liaoning, or at least that's what it says on the inside flap.