Chinese-Forums

Does 单 is always used to indicate "list" in chinese

Guest123

I only know that a list of people is 名单, a menu is 菜单。 Is 单 a word for all kinds of list (I know it also has other meanings, but I am now intrested only in this one).

For example, if I say 公司单, would it mean a list of companies? Or 项目单 would it be a list of projects?

It doesn't always combine with words in the way you suggest, example 賬單 is not a list of accounts in the sense that it is a list with a savings, chequing, investment etc account listed on it, but will have a list of fees on it.

Other places you might see it would be 成績單,流水單 etc, so yes in a sense it means list, but the things on the list are not necessarily as saliently understood just from the word preceding.

• Like 2

The alternative is 表, which I think is more general. 单 to my ear feels a bit more ... concrete? Definite? Less spreadsheet-like perhaps. Not that 公司单 would sound all that odd - just something I wouldn't use.

• Like 1