Chinese-Forums

Computer programs for organizing vocabulary

wushucrab20

I was wondering if anyone knows of any software that is more convenient and versatile than Microsoft excel in terms of organizing large amounts of vocabulary that are topic based? For example in an excel spreadsheet I originally had things divided into economics/finance, history/geography, diplomacy, law, medicine etc., but I have found that these categories are still far too broad and I end up accumulating massive lists that I would never go back to and have no real organization anyway.

Hopefully there is some type of program that would allow for better organizing of vocabulary by generating different tabs and things like that with room for a definition in two languages + an explanation if needed. I know there may be some good apps out there for the i phone, but I have an android and I prefer to use my mac book when working on this type of thing. Any ideas at all are welcome!

A lot of people use the software program called ZDT to memorize the Chinese vocabulary and you can make word lists too.

It's all made by volunteers - I'm working with some other people on the project. You can make word-lists, study them, input a Chinese text in the annotator have it translated into pinyin and has several dictionaries. Word lists for a number of popular books are all on that site. If you want to use them outside ZDT, you can (ask if it is not clear how).

The good thing for you is, that it can put words in categories. See picture. In mine it's divided in Books, but you can divide it up in topics, economics, history and create subtopics, like economics/trade, economics/law or whatever you have.

post-50134-0-83493200-1453811821_thumb.gif Click for a bigger version.

You can easily import you Excel file into ZDT. First do Save As in Excel and choose the Unicode format, then import the Unicode .txt file into ZDT as UTF-16. You need to tell ZDT what the order of the data is. It's explained in the help, but if it is too cryptic, ask.

Find it ZDT at sourceforge.

I just posted a few days ago all the wordlists for Jiaocheng Hanyu Book 1 (a popular book at some Chinese Universities) in this forum. Perhaps it helps you.

Click here for the ZDT support forum - other people ask here questions, too. But because you have a specific question, feel free to send a PM.