Chinese-Forums

How do I get Hanzi on my computer without using software?

confucius

Let me begin by saying that I don't know much about computers. Surprise! :shock:

OK, so I have a computer but I can't type Chinese text on it.

Is there any safe web site I can go to and download something that will enable me to perform pinyin based Chinese character entry? If so, please enlighten me as to which one is least likely to jam my computer when I try to include "Shengdan Kuai Le" in my e-mail Christmas greetings.

If 21st century technology has not reached the point where a simple 5 minute download enables me to compose New Year couplets then forget about it and reply to other computer inquiries.

Xie Xie! :)

Let me begin by saying that I don't know much about computers. Surprise! :shock:

OK' date=' so I have a computer but I can't type Chinese text on it.

Is there any safe web site I can go to and download something that will enable me to perform pinyin based Chinese character entry? If so, please enlighten me as to which one is least likely to jam my computer when I try to include "Shengdan Kuai Le" in my e-mail Christmas greetings.

If 21st century technology has not reached the point where a simple 5 minute download enables me to compose New Year couplets then forget about it and reply to other computer inquiries.

Xie Xie! :)[/quote']

Try WebPY on http://users.tpg.com.au/adslg8qs if your system can show Hanzi in IE or Netscape. It only take you less than one minute and no extra software to be installed!

Bob, I admire your effort but I found it quite difficult to use the Wanpin at your website, it seems that i have to type

ni

men

hao

separately, it's just too slow to type ten characters...

And it's difficult to find one of the most frequently used character , 我 , I typed in WO, but it wasn't on the first row, so I just gave it up...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Haoqide:

In your tutorial on your web page you mentioned that the Simplified Chinese IME (it's an acronym for Input Method Editor) was the only one you could get working. Here's how you can type in traditional Chinese script.

Find your way to the Text Services and Input Languages dialogue box. Choose Chinese (Taiwan) from the drop-down list under Input Language, check the Keyboard Layout / IME button, and then pick Microsoft New Phonetic IME 2002a. Then click OK.

You are now back to the Text Services and Input Languages dialogue box. Note that Under Chinese (Taiwan) /Keyboard, Microsoft New Phonetic IME 2002a is now listed. Click Apply and then OK.

After you have installed Chinese (Taiwan) /Keyboard, Microsoft New Phonetic IME 2002a, you'll probably need to fine-tune its properties as its default input scheme in Zhuyin Fuhao (BoPoMoFo.). So, select Chinese (Taiwan) /Keyboard, Microsoft New Phonetic IME 2002a, then click on Properties.

Because I am familiar with Pinyin romanization but not with other Chinese language input methods, I clicked the Hanyu Pinyin radio button under the Keyboard Mapping tab.

And there you have it! You can type in traditional Chinese. I think it looks a lot nicer than the simplified script, personally.