Chinese-Forums

Study in China - The after life

Harvey

Hey all,

I was consdiering dropping out of my corporate life style for a year or two and going to study in China. My question is, what usually happens after people finish these study programs?

I am worried that it may be difficult to re-enter the workforce after being away for "so long".

Ideally, I would like to study in China for a year or two, and then get a job working in Shanghai or Beijing. Does this happen at all for people who finish the program? Under what circumstances?

From what I have been reading here it seems that most students in the schools are fresh out of university, rather than midcareer types.

Let me know what you think!

- Harvey

Well, I can't say I'm mid-career but I was working in corporate America for over two years when I "dropped out" to go to China. I can't tell you about getting a job though since I'm headed to grad school this fall after my stint in China. From the expat friends I knew from a similar background I got two feelings:

1) You can get a job but it will be more through guanxi than looking at zhaopin.com. Networking with foreign expats and Chinese (especially if you can speak passable Chinese) are the ticket to a job. Networking is more key in China than even in the US. One word of advice I got before I left was to pick up an AmCham directory ($100) and that AmCham functions are good networking events. I know one friend who got a consulting job through this route.

2) From what I was hearing, the job market is still good but it is not as easy for any old expat to walk into China and get a good job as it was several years ago. The opportunities by no means are closed but the employers are becoming increasingly selective. This may be a plus for you since you can prove you have working experience and real skills. If you have experience in management, all the better.

If anyone disagrees with these sentiments, please let me know.

AmCham is the American Chamber of Commerce. It has its main branch in Beijing and other major cities I believe. You can go to their office in Jianguomen and buy a directory of all the member companies for about 800 Yuan ($100 roughly). It is just a good guide of where to look for people I'm told. I think the UK and Australia have similar chambers as well.

• 1 month later...

Hi I'm thinking about ordering the AmCham directory now actually. Quite expensive, but it has been recommended to me many times during my China quest... So I guess it can't be all that bad.

Has anyone on this board ever taken a look at this?