Chinese-Forums

Translation competition

roddy

The Writing Chinese project at Leeds University and Paper Republic are having another translation competition. The details are here - you've got a little over 2,000 characters of reportage by Li Jingrui to tackle, looks quite interesting. Due in by March 9, winner gets a bursary to a translation summer school in London, plus publication. 

If you're interested, the text and translation from last year are available.

Anyone in?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Well, the non-fiction has already been written, so I'd say it's about knowing how and where to depart from the source enough to make the sentences flow well (or at least as well as in the original), and about finding just the right word through a jungle of synonyms. It's fun though, I recommend it. (I don't do literary translation into English, my English is pretty good but not good enough for that.)

• 1 year later...

Just knocked my translation together, was really good fun actually, especially as the content was so similar to my own experiences back at the time it was written. I remember the night we heard Huanggang had been locked down, palpable fear. Now it seems pretty disproportionate considering how much people don't seem to care back here in London. If they end up doing more competitions (does it count as a competition?) like this I think I'll definetly get involved. I know its probably obvious, but I can't believe how much more fun translating this style of writing is than what I'm normally doing!