Chinese-Forums

HSK Level 1 - PinYin in reading sections?

Drew Chen

• New Members

Hello guys, I'm new to the forum. I have been hard at work studying for the Level 1 HSK exam and was hoping to take it in March. 

While browsing for sample exams I have noticed that in the comprehension sections, pinyin is written on top of Chinese characters. Is this the case with the actual exam or is it just because they are past exams / samples? 

I have some basic speaking skills but could not read or write - so my goal is to improve my reading and writing. I feel that the pinyin can be distracting given my objective. If pinyin is listed in level 1, and I wanted a bigger challenge, is there a different test I can take?

Thanks!

Even if you don't think it will be enough of a challenge, i wouldn't skip things. Do each level as you reach it, you might want to do it without pinyin and you may manage doing it in characters but there will be other things, grammar patterns, usage and other things that will give you trouble at a higher level than you are prepared for.

It doesn't matter if its easy for you, great breeze through the 1st and 2nd level and by then you should have tons of characters under your belt and when you take level 3 you should enjoy it :)

It also shouldn't interfere with your goal of learning characters, keep learning, keep enjoying :)

I don't know of any other exams as widely recognised and available as HSK, but I am sure there are some but may not be of use to you depending on your final gaols.