Chinese-Forums

Video blogging for improving speaking skills

Video Vocabulary

I think any situation where you are recording yourself, listening back to that, and then making adjustments for future recordings will benefit your speaking.

By doing something like this, you'll also become acutely aware of gaps in your vocabulary because you'll want to express some concept but won't be able to.  You'll then have a concrete thing to research and learn.  The more you do it, the more the gaps will be filled in and your level will increase.

I say go for it.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I don't think it's a horrible idea.  I started making videos to teach Chinese three months ago and researching the various videos I've made has been very helpful to me.  Vlogging is not something that I am comfortable doing but I can see the appeal.  If you want to make videos that people will enjoy watching, I'd recommend you not vlog but interview locals, using your webcam.  Speak to them in Chinese and edit the videos of your interacting with them.  Then the final product will be something I would watch, I think other people would to.  Just ask them their opinions about things and life, and chat them up.  Cheers. 

My videos here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcJKV7z9suo&list=PL2X-sDbFF6OuSJPh6si57itr8lkTRRnH8

• Like 1

Anything you do in Chinese can be beneficial, but there needs to be some element of reflection and feedback. If your Chinese is already a bit of a mess and you spend an extra hour vlogging, you're just going to further cement in any errors. But if you're listening back to yourself and making notes for improvement, paying a tutor to sit down and give you feedback, or asking listeners to comment, and then acting on that...

Maybe the useful question is - what's the best way to do this, for your Chinese? I'd suggest doing a first performance you show to a tutor or trusted (trusted to be blunt about your Chinese, that is) friend, then producing a second performance for broadcast based on that. 

• Like 2