Chinese-Forums

How to Setup 微信 on US based Android Phones?

Blue0Falcon

Hi,

I'd really appreciate it if any of the gurus out there to shed some light on the questions below:

1. How to setup 微信 on an Android phone based in the US?

2. How does 微信 work with the Internet Service Providers (My is AT & T)?

3. Is 微信 free for users outside China?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Hofmann,

Thanks so much for simplifying things for me :P !  I will turn off my Data Usage if there is Wi-Fi when using WeChat/微信.

More questions:

I suppose that I can create any fun name instead of using my real name like what they say for 微信 users in China?

How to connect with those 微信 users in China after creating my WeChat account?

Thanks.

Using Wechat is pretty much like any other communication app.

You can use an on screen name, but you need to register the account with your name and email. You can create a Wechat ID so you can easily share with people.

You can find people a couple of ways, once you have installed it, have a read of the help files, it will explain things.

You can "shake" to find people or use the "people nearby" or you can invite people or find friends also. How to use them is explained in the app.

It is a bit like a cross between Skype, Facebook and twitter, so it generally works along the same lines.

Once you have installed it explore the options and functions, it does explain things as you go.

Thanks for all the replies.

I have added US contacts easily. WeChat has found me some China contacts by their cell phone numbers, it appears to be adding the contacts, but it never actually added them. I wonder it's because I didn't get a chance to enter the Verification Code that was sent to my phone during the registration. 

I am not sure, have you tried logging out and then starting again. When you go through the process you should get asked for login verification and at that point you can click on forgot password and get a new code.

This is how is how it happened  for me.

Shelley, 

Thanks for all your help. Reinstalling WeChat gets me a new verification code. Actually, I never need it since I don't need to change my password. I wasn't clear about what the verification code was for.

I can add mainland China contacts as long as they reply to my invites. But I can add US contacts in WeChat regardless if they reply or not.

Cheers!

I am guessing you will get an invite and you have to reply to get added to their list. I don't know why its different for US and China, are you sure they are actually being added?

Send a message and see if it gets through and ask them if they had to accept you request to add them.