Chinese-Forums

Degree and major recommendations, studying chinese

赫杰

Hello all! Great site! It freaking rocks!! :mrgreen:8):wink::D

I will be attending 华中师范大学 for at least one year in about a month or so to study chinese. Currently I am an IT major at an american university, but I was thinking upon returning to america (if I so desired) to change my major to something more international based so I can use Chinese or any other languages that I might learn in the future. I love studying languages and the process of learning them and using them, especially chinese (other past studies are Japanese and Russian but I don't remember too much of them and would love to study them again!). IT is interesting and also comes natural to me, but it does not compare to my interest level and love of various languages.

So my question for you cool people is this: given my interests, and possibility of trying to learn even more languages beyond chinese, what are your guys' recommendations for university majors/degrees that complement knowledge of various languages/chinese?

Any advice is so much appreciated. Thanks.

HJ

A very good combination with language learning is Business with an emphasis on International business. The combination of learning other languages with being able to apply those languages in a job will open up amazing job opportunities. Knowing Chinese and having a business degree is going to be crucial in the near future, as China has quickly become the worlds largest upcoming economy. Once they go into their full-swing economic boom, a vast amount of jobs and other opportunities will arise for those that have learnt the language. However, learning any second language will give you a good advantage in whatever you decide to do in life (not to mention it is so much fun).

this is just my 2 cents.

Youshen