Chinese-Forums

A beloved Chinese sports hero?

Lu

For a translation (with a bit of localisation thrown in) I'm looking for a Chinese sports hero. The Dutch version has Epke Zonderland, a Dutch gymnast who is amazingly strong (of course) and skilled, but also friendly and clean (no drugs and such), so basically the whole country loves him. My first thought was Liu Xiang, but I'm not sure if he is still admired as much as he used to be. Yao Ming might be an option, but I'd rather use someone more current. Can be male or female (Li Na maybe?), doesn't have to be Chinese as long as all Chinese know & love him/her.

(I'm translating the notes for a speech from Dutch to English, the speech will be held in China. I didn't promise them any localisation, but might as well throw it in if it doesn't take me too much extra effort.)

Thanks for any help!

How about Zhang Ning? Double Olympic champion who initially had early difficulties in her career, persuaded to stay on in the China team and eventually won the Olympics.

Lin Dan is probably the bigger but he has sometimes had a bit of a bad boy image.

As this is an Olympic year, maybe Sun Yang and Ning Zetao (both swimmers)?

Also Lang Ping, the legendary women's volleyball player and coach.

And of course, Li Na.

Yi Jianlian, the leader of China's national basketball team, but like Marbury, he would not be popular in northern China, maybe even hated.

With his quick divorce, Liu Xiang may not be suitable for your purpose. Wu Minxia, the woman diver who has been winning everything in sight, is a current figure. However to reach an audience who may not be very interested in sports, Yao Ming would probably be a safe bet.

Thanks everyone! I had barely heard of any of these people, shows how little I follow sports. I think I'll go with either Li Na or Ding Junhui, and will keep Kobe Bryant in mind. A bad boy is not what I'm looking for, and it shouldn't be someone who isn't liked in half of China either. Considered Wu Minxia but the speaker might stumble over the x in her name, so she's out for that superficial reason.