Chinese-Forums

What is the difference between 系统, 体系 制度 and 体制 ?

AnnieH

• New Members

Hi,

I often get confused between the following words:

• 系统,
  • 体系
  • 制度
  • 体制

Is there a big difference in these? How do we know which one to use, when? Is this a question of entirely different meanings, or are they just paired with slightly different words? If anyone has any straightforward 'rule' that I could bear in mind, I would be very happy to hear it!

Thanks, A

As far as I konw,

系统 is organized structure, made of connected parts and serving to one function within a body or some organisation, for ex. 信息系统, 神经系统,消化系统。

体系 is a bigger system made of lots of structures, for ex. 经济体系,思想体系。

制度 is a way to organize political society, it includes laws, customs, ceremonies, administration

体制 is a way in which a structured thing is organised, it also means literary style, the structure of a text.

• 2 months later...

体系 is usually conceptual. In contrast, 系统 tend to be physical, tangible and/or specific.

For instance, you could say: 经济体系, 政治体系, 思想体系, as well as 硬件系统, 神经系统, 机械系统.

In some cases, you may use both, but they mean differently. For example: 司法体系 and 司法系统 are both valid. However, the former is usually interpreted as "jurisprudence", emphasizing the theories and principles in laws and the practice of law; whereas the latter refers to "the judicial branch + law enforcement agencies".

制度 and 体制 both refer to a set of rules. 制度 tends to be more specific and functional. It usually dictates how things should be done. For example: 审计制度 (how to conduct financial auditing), 用人制度 (how to hire and promote), etc. In comparison, 体制 is more general, abstract, and theoretical. For instance: 政治体制.

Nevertheless, the distinction can be quite tricky in some cases. As an example: the nuance between 政治体制 and 政治体系 can be challenging even for native speakers to elaborate. Hope this helps a bit!

• Like 1