Chinese-Forums

What is there for online shopping, after Taobao?

vellocet

After spending yet another day frustratingly riding around town, trying to find something I know exists out there somewhere (a hanging headboard caddy that I can put my phone in overnight to charge without keeping it under my pillow), I have once again given up on buying locally.  I tried, I really did.  Baidu maps guides me to household products locations that closed last year, or that are unfriendly wholesale markets, or are super-high class furniture stores.  Dianping just wants me to find restaurants, as far as I can tell.  Of course, I'm sure with the right keyword I could have found what I was looking for, but damn if I wanted to play the "search in English, see if there are any results that contain Chinese, paste the characters back into the search bar, refine" game I would have gone to Taobao in the first place. 

So, what's out there besides Taobao?  I know jingdong.com, but that's about it.  What are the pros and cons of different online shopping sites?  Or does Taobao really have it all and I'm just wasting my time going elsewhere? 

If you're looking for something a bit more obscure then Taobao is your best bet. Pretty much anything you can think of is found on there.

Otherwise, jindong (JD) seems to be the most popular amongst Chinese people I know. Amazon is easy to use because the layout is the same as any other Amazon and the interface can be set to English. The project info will still be in Chinese but you can at least see things like "check order" or "update address" in English.

• Like 1

Otherwise, jindong (JD) seems to be the most popular amongst Chinese people I know.

That shop has some things I'd like to buy, but before I sign up for an account, can anyone tell me if the chinese site will ship to foreign countries?

As soon as I select “送到: 海外” in the upper left corner, it will redirect me to the english site, which doesn't have the items I'm interested in.