Chinese-Forums

Symbolism of "chopsticks"

kanglina

• New Members

Hi everyone! I just wanted to ask you about few informations about symbolism of chopsticks in China nowadays. I have a school project where I should pick some object that often represents something else and is still used in China society, for example bat means happiness, four means death, pine is symbol of longevity,...and I actually read somewhere that chopsticks are used as a wedding gift that should mean "to have sons soon" or wishing "happiness forever". So I'm wondering if someone could tell me if this is really a thing in China. And if chopsticks mean possibly something else. And if not, perhaps you could come up with some other non traditional/not so commonly known chinese symbols used in these days.
Thanks alot for your tips!

Apart from the pine tree example (pine trees are fabled for their longevity), these look to be puns.

I'm not sure the pun inherent in kuaizi ("chopsticks"/"quick son(s)") is something that in practice would be instantly perceived by all hearers, partly because contexts for taking it in the scond sense are probably too few and far between in daily life.

If chopsticks do function symbolically, the symbolism is probably of a more general kind founded on the duality of chopsticks, the concept of pairing this leads on to, and then more specifically things like the inseparableness of two people throughout their lives, and so on.

To get an authoritative and complete answer you'd really have to ask a bunch of Chinese people of different ages what, if anything, chopsticks symbolized for them. You'd probably get a range of answers.

Though this is not what they represent in general, in one particular instance chopsticks can represent incense, because it's rude (or inauspicious?) to stick your chopsticks upright in a bowl of rice because it looks like incense being offered to honor the dead.